Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best 5V SMPS ?
Best 5V SMPS ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2018, 01:02 PM   #91
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestsgump View Post
It is rather interesting findings on Allo adapter, the IF I adapter, and a 10000mAh Battery bank from MI.

No doubt that AC power supply such as Allo, IFI comes with inherit noise. But pesonally, i always have doubt battery bank such as 10000mAh Battery bank from MI are noise-free; although they are from DC power supply, however 3.7~42v Li-battery undergo switching mode DC-DC to bring up to 5v USB power, such approach inherently cause switching noise output as well.

Yes agreed, however battery banks have one major advantage. No connection to the mains , true galvanic isolation. As such there is no leakage currents , no low frequency noise. Yes there is sw frequency noise and ripple but thats rather simple to clean using inductors and ldos.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:38 AM   #92
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

@cdsgames

I'm wondering if that new SPMS can be taken out of the case - without lowering its performance.

The reason I'm asking:

I currently have 3 iFi iPowers running. These pretty much occupy my valuable HiFi powerstrip already.

I'm wondering if I could take out the electronics from 3 of yours and make a 1x230V-in and 3x5V-out to build my own multi-5V-out supply.

iFi makes things rather complicated to accomplish something like that.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:55 AM   #93
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

One more.

I'm also working on a setup that lets me handle all my powersupplies remotely.

Basically I'd like to turn on and off my system by pressing a single "button".

Currently nobody else then me can start-up my system.
Starting numerous powersupplies in a different order just can't be expected to be done by the rest of the family.

That's why I need one big button.

Basically I'm thinking of a PI and a relay extension board to accomplish this.
This way I need to have access to all mains cables.

However. I'm wondering if such a SMPS - the one we're talking about -
could also come with an input that could be directly attached to e.g a PI GPIO. This port then could be used to turn such a device on and off at a very low effort.
Something like that would preparing quite well for house automation purposes as well.
What do you think about that idea?
Old 18th March 2018, 09:10 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
IiFi makes things rather complicated to accomplish something like that.
I think its possible to sell the PCB separate from casing.
Old 18th March 2018, 09:13 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
What do you think about that idea?
Interesting idea, but smps has no such input. Like you said , using relays you could control easily the on/off (dc output) .
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:42 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Next week we should get (finally) the new PCB for testing. Our active filter works nicely , noise is extremely low (in uV 0-20Khz but of course thats not important)
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:58 PM   #97
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevM View Post
So,
linear supplies have diode noise,
SMPSs have switching noise,
Battery banks have boost convertors,
Duracell is 1.2V
Car battery is 12V, 2V x 6,

So where do I get clean & pure 5V dc from?
Best 5V SMPS ?Best 5V SMPS ?
We could use a 6V motorcycle battery with 1uF polyester 250V from plus to minus. We might use 1 or 2 forward biased silicon diodes to give circa 5V. The 1uF could be after the diodes to get the best speed and noise. A forward biased diode in theory has no noise. It will have a little, It's not switching noise. Current should be good where it needs to be.

Capacitors can be charged using a voltage comparator switch over if the current isn't too high. The charger never sees the load as the capacitor in use swaps with the one or bank on charge. If the clicking of a relay is OK it can be that simple. The NE555, LM339, LM324 all might be used. I like the LM324 as it can both sorce and sink current up to about 20 mA. It looks very like the LM339 except it is an op amp. Although very poor as an audio device it is great as a stand in comparator. Usually a little hysterisis is added as shown in the application notes to stop jitters etc. If the current use is fixed the comparator might be just a NE555 and relay pair. The caps switched by time alone. If we went from 5.5 to 5 VDC that might be fine.
Old 25th March 2018, 03:08 PM   #98
chris14 is offline chris14
diyAudio Member

A dual 5V supply in a case with single iec mains connecter sounds interesting. You can use 2 short connectors to independently power a pi + dac stack. The -ve output on both can then be grounded to drain away any leakage current that remains from the smps's.
Old 30th March 2018, 03:02 AM   #99
freeplay is offline freeplay
diyAudio Member

My experience with iFI ipower is that it does alter the SQ in a way that you lose the lower end. My setup is a 502 dac pro, powered separately from the pi. Initially I had ipower connected only to the dac and a usb charger for the pi. With that config, I could hear stronger bass notes. Yesterday I decided to get another ipower for the pi expecting better SQ but was sorely disappointed that it lost most of the lower end, lacking so much bass to a point that the music wasn't as enjoyable. It's unbelievable how much a power supply can alter the SQ of a rpi streamer. I'm gonna get the official power supply for the pi and see if it can balance out the highs and the lows.
Old 30th March 2018, 07:32 AM   #100
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It should with a little care be possible to make any PSU sound good. It possibly needs more test gear than people want to buy. For me it comes with the job. Even a lead acid battery ( accumulator ) can sound poor. A 1uF 250V polyester can cure that used in parallel. If you think about it nothing on the planet should beat a lead acid battery.Tons of current and no fancy charging.

If a PSU lacks bass and is of the usual 1 amp capability it should be able to drive a preamp type device. When bad sound the most likely problem is complexity of grounding or too thin a ground cable. Conversely the type of cable if too thick can make for a dull sound. No real idea why as skin effects shouldn't be important as DC and handled by local decoupling next to chips ( Litz effect in it's original meaning by Tesla, his own skin ). Sometimes what sounds like poor bass is in fact radio frequencies entering the circuit causing false DC reference points. All of this says a linear supply is best even when digital circuits. None have to be large although large often sounds best. As far as I can see a large linear supply is also a radio frequency filter. Naim Hi Cap was just a big toroid and LM317 regulator. It sounded better than the already large Naim SNAPS PSU. The difference in sound was like a very much more powerful and expensive amplifier, slightly weird as the power amp was not changed, only the preamp. Friends often said Naim were crafty to do this.

Best 5V SMPS ?Hide this!Advertise here!