Merlin's Gyrator and Cap Multiplier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Merlin’s great Hi-Fidelity Valve Preamp book in section 11.6.5 The Gyrator or Simulated Inductor and in section 11.6.6 The Capacitance Multiplier he uses STP11NK40Z FETs.
What would be a suitable FET for a negative supply?
I want to build a positive and negative supply for a cathode/source follower and would appreciate (polite) suggestions?
Merry Christmas
tim

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
STP11NK40Z is ST's "SuperMesh" product. It does not seem to come in P-channel.

In context, I can't believe the specific part matters. You need the 400V rating. The 0.55 Ohm spec is probably not vital, which is good because a same-die P-ch device will have double the Ron. 1 Ohm or a hair higher is probably fine for tube-system impedances. The 9A spec is way beyond what you need. The TO220 package is probably the right size for the intended current and power level.

While P-ch MOSFETs are rarer, there will be many dozen which will work fine. After getting 400V TO220, I would sort by price and weed-out the Ron > 2 Ohm parts, see what's left.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.