Toroidal transformer: multiple secondary outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Designing my system, have very basic questions I'd love to get some help with.

1. Is it a bad idea to power everything (DAC, Rapi, amp, vu controller, ...) from a toroid with several secondaries?

2. Would it be better (efficiency, but also sound quality?) to have a separate supply (ie SMPS) for the DAC and a simpler toroid for the amp?

3. Is it dangerous to run a toroid with unused socondaries?

Thank you so much!

Joined 2011
1. Is it a bad idea to power everything (DAC, Rapi, amp, vu controller, ...) from a toroid with several secondaries?
2. Would it be better (efficiency, but also sound quality?) to have a separate supply (ie SMPS)
for the DAC and a simpler toroid for the amp?
3. Is it dangerous to run a toroid with unused socondaries?

Because of a larger, more variable current draw, it is best for the amplifier to have its own power transformer.
The other, lower current supplies can be of higher performance than the high current supply.
Usually the toroid secondaries are equal, and you can parallel them rather than not use them.

An unused (open circuit) secondary does not come to any harm.
But it wastes VA capability, money, weight and volume.

Digital stages use pulses to process information. Those pulses back feed into the power source.
This pulsing and it's effect on the PSU can infiltrate into the analogue stages interfering with the analogue performance.

Many manufacturers separated the digital and analogue power supplies to help alleviate that interference.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Because of a larger, more variable current draw, it is best for the amplifier to have its own power transformer.
The other, lower current supplies can be of higher performance than the high current supply.
Usually the toroid secondaries are equal, and you can parallel them rather than not use them.
OK i get that a separate power supply is a better option.
Not sure about that last statement though… Most of the toroids I see are something like 2x20 + 2x12 + 2x9 for instance, so definitely not "equal".

An unused (open circuit) secondary does not come to any harm.
But it wastes VA capability, money, weight and volume.

Digital stages use pulses to process information. Those pulses back feed into the power source.
This pulsing and it's effect on the PSU can infiltrate into the analogue stages interfering with the analogue performance.

Many manufacturers separated the digital and analogue power supplies to help alleviate that interference.
Good then, separate supplies.
What about a Mean Well SMPS for the DAC-RPi-display and a toroid for the amp? Would LM3886 board amp get on well with SMPS? I am thinking about size-case now…

Thank you again

I bought a pair of double insulated 94W SMPS to replace the 160VA toroid in a two channel 3886.
But taking out the whole PSU+transformer did not leave enough room to get the two smps into the chassis. So the experiment to compare sound was abandoned.

I got an integrated amp (Chinese-made, ones very common in our country for PA) that I want to use for my sub. I planned to remove all the other components, mic vol, mic inputs, the input selector and just use the amp module itself and the volume pot. The toroid has 3 secondaries, 45-0-45, 15-0-15 and 0-9v. The 45v goes to the amp itself with its onboard PSU. The other two goes to the USB input module, tone controls and other components. I'm planning to make a new enclosure for this sub amp and just wanted to know if it is okay to use only the 45-0-45 secondary of the toroid and just leave the other two unused. Would really appreciate your advice on this. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.