Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best capacitors for power supplies update
Best capacitors for power supplies update
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2017, 12:30 PM   #101
awkwardbydesign is offline awkwardbydesign  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaudio2 View Post
I conducted a quick charge and discharge comparison between a new/old stock Elna Hifi grade 100 volt dc unit vs a new Nichicon Gold tone 35 volt dc one...first I charged then up through resistance(same) to working voltage to reform them for a time and observe the miliamp meter to see current dropping to zero...then discharged them both and observed time it takes for charge voltage to drop below threshold of one volt.Then I repeat experiment but charge both to only 35 volts...out come:The Elna capacitor discharged noticeably much quicker than the Nichicon...I have to conclude that this would probably be audible to your ear...maybe if both were allowed to be formed up for a longer period of time maybe there wouldn't be much difference ...If one owned mono blocks this could be A and B'd and reported on.
Do you think it is the voltage rating difference or the capacitor type that caused this? Do you not have different voltages of the same cap to try? Two parameter changes muddies the waters somewhat.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:36 PM   #102
dimkasta is offline dimkasta  Greece
diyAudio Member

Well, this is kind of expected. Larger voltage caps tend to have lower ESR.
Old 29th September 2017, 01:13 PM   #103
sdaudio2 is offline sdaudio2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re:63v vs 40v caps

I should have further qualified about caps I used and describe my Elnas used as having low resistance screw terminals as apposed to the 35 volt Nichicons that have snap in style terminals......because of finances one is forced to use new old or used components ...I like the challenge of using whatever is available and subsitituting parts over time to achieve synergy...just don't change too many things all at once otherwise you may have to reverse everything in order to get back(sound wise) to where you were and start over....uhm....what was your question again?Ha,ha...
Old 29th September 2017, 01:29 PM   #104
sdaudio2 is offline sdaudio2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Whether a cap has whatever terminations doesn't much matter as long as the device used can be safely used in the chosen circuit...I read that ARC liked to use Electro's that worked into circuits that would see voltages closer to their working voltage ratings....can,t remember the complete reason(this would be an area to investigate further on).
Old 29th September 2017, 01:43 PM   #105
gug42 is offline gug42
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Any opinion about Kemet 550V ALC Series please ?
Can I use them without risk on the filter LC/RC for a psu @450V ? (B+ for EL156)

Thank you in advance !
ALC10A121CC550 KEMET | Mouser France
Old 29th September 2017, 02:01 PM   #106
Hvlemmi is offline Hvlemmi  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A capacitor may exceed but not go under the given voltage. A 550v capacitor will work @ 450v.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:09 PM   #107
gug42 is offline gug42
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your answer. I know, but well the security marge for peak voltage is ok ?
For exemple : For 450 V, some people tell me a 500 VDC rated capa is too close to their limit.

And well thoses Kemet 550V one are they good / acceptable ?
ESR : 2874 mOhms
Z : 2506 mOhms
Rejection current : 1.14 A

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/212/KEM_A...10-1103920.pdf

Last edited by gug42; 29th September 2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add a question
Old 29th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #108
dimkasta is offline dimkasta  Greece
diyAudio Member

You should also account for mains fluctuations, and derate a bit for operating temperature
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:56 PM   #109
rebone is offline rebone
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaudio2 View Post
I read that ARC liked to use Electro's that worked into circuits that would see voltages closer to their working voltage ratings...
Hi, anyone have any more thoughts/experience with regards to this.
Like if using 23v rails is it better to use 25v caps or 40v caps.
Best regards
Old 4th December 2017, 05:58 PM   #110
fabrice63 is offline fabrice63  France
diyAudio Member

Anyway , 40 V caps will have lower ESR , and a safe margin .

my Pass F6 run 40 v caps at 24.4 v supply , they never got hot anyhow .

Best capacitors for power supplies updateHide this!Advertise here!