Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

This is great forum and has been very helpful. I just order some W204011ASH1
W61084ASN2_juma cap multi boards from PCBway! I am planing to modify one of the boards by adding a TL431 to add regulation and compensate for the difference in the Vgs of the mosfets.

I have one question about the original design. Do the diodes D1, D2, D4 and D5 eliminate the need for zener clamp between gate and source of the MOSFETs?

In case of a short circuit, C2 is going to discharge through the reference pin of TL431 and maybe destroy the IC

A tweak worth trying is adding bypass cap to 220uf cap.
I had already added a selection of film caps from 1 uf down after the Mx.
It helped tame the ''fatness'' of adding what seemed like too many large electrolytics, keeping the full, smooth sound but tightening it up and adding some air. There was good synergy there.

increasing 220uf Mx cap to 1000uf seemed to have similar effect to the large lytics after the Mx, it was easier to solder a bypass cap the legs than desolder them again and surprisingly this also helped in the same way.
The Mx cap seems to influence sound nearly as much as the Mx output caps

also the Mx caps were silmics, which I believe are low ESR, A general purpose cap might benefit even more from a bypass cap here.

Last edited:
Yes, it was the Juma cap Mx. The layout is awesome and I am disappointed the heat will be too much. I add zeners between the gate and source of the MOSFETs.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 880
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member