Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier
Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2019, 05:44 PM   #731
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

Nenad88, that would be the smaller CapMx board. I made up a batch of those as well and have used them for various applications (BA3 PSU, Wayne’s linestage psu) Just keep in mind they aren’t a regulated supply so if you need say, exactly 24v all the time this might not be the PSU for you. But I can attest it is a small and quiet PSU for my applications so far. See posts 626 and 650 for more info on that one.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #732
nenad88 is offline nenad88  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Too bad So this board cant change output voltage?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:26 PM   #733
diyAudio Member

nenad88. Not entirely. My understanding is you can dial it in within a few volts of your target with the trim pots, but the less voltage you dial down, the less ripple reduction you get. Your target voltage comes from the transformer. I'm shooting for 24V in a Class A amp. Running it with a 22vac transformer I have it dialed as far down as the trim pots will take it. That gives me 27.5V. With a Class A load it should get me closer to 24V. But in the end a 20vac transformer may be what I really need. Well see... So long story short, you can have any voltage you want, theoretically, depending on the transformer. Not to take into account the voltage restrictions imposed by the caps you use or the transistors, etc. That's next level.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:27 PM   #734
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

One thing I'd suggest when you're first setting these 'simple' filters up is to run them at the current that you'll end up using the supply with via a 'dummy load' and make sure everything is functioning okay.
I have power resistors mounted on heatsinks for this and as I'm often playing with the F series amps, I generally use 16R power resistor or for other current testing loads, a bunch of wire wounds in // and dump them in a non-metal jug or container - you can leave the supply 'on soak' for awhile and get those parts "all settled in"
For example, 6 x 100R 10W resistors wired in parallel = about 16R ohm load and @ 24 volts = about 1.5A = about 50W heat and is enough to get them quite hot!)

Also something that doesn't often get mentioned (and is argued about quite a lot!) but the capacitors in the filter are just like any other component in that they have their own sound - for example, most Nichicons will sound different to most Panasonics and will sound different to Epcos …. you get the idea, yes?

On some systems, the difference isn't noticeable but in others, it's quite significant - on headamps, it's unmistakable - the Cap multiplier circuits generally emphasize the differences.

… all the best
Old 16th November 2019, 12:41 AM   #735
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip James. I have a stash of 8R 50W resistors for just such an occasion.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

Fired the CapMx up with 16R on each rail tonight on a variac. Brought it up slow just in case. With the 16R load I got 24.5V on each rail. Just about perfect!
Old 16th November 2019, 09:28 AM   #737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjarch View Post
nenad88. Not entirely. My understanding is you can dial it in within a few volts of your target with the trim pots, but the less voltage you dial down, the less ripple reduction you get. Your target voltage comes from the transformer. I'm shooting for 24V in a Class A amp. Running it with a 22vac transformer I have it dialed as far down as the trim pots will take it. That gives me 27.5V. With a Class A load it should get me closer to 24V. But in the end a 20vac transformer may be what I really need. Well see... So long story short, you can have any voltage you want, theoretically, depending on the transformer. Not to take into account the voltage restrictions imposed by the caps you use or the transistors, etc. That's next level.
I understand now, but that is not good solution for my needs.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:41 PM   #738
diyAudio Member

Hope you find what you’re looking for nenad88.

Regarding the boards I’m using I now have both channels up and running. Please disregard the transformer positioning right now. Final positioning and mounting is still in progress. With everything running through efficient speakers (0.53x mini-k’s with dual 3fe25’s) this is the quietest amp I have built this far. I can say this. For an affordable Class A PSU build I don’t think you can beat these boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74695DC1-304D-4CB3-B498-80694537BEB8.jpg (936.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by jwjarch; 18th November 2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:09 PM   #739
diyAudio Member

Bottom plate make life so much easier to move components around, well done.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance MultiplierHide this!Advertise here!