Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2018, 02:02 AM   #601
prasi is offline prasi  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimios View Post
Red boards that i received Today are excellent!
Thanks Prasi!
thanks for confirming. those are different designs however.
Old 21st October 2018, 05:23 PM   #602
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Prasi,

Do you thing you could add the rectifier section of Project16/Prasi CRC PSU to this cap MX? I much prefer discrete diodes than square bridges.

All the best!
Do
Old 21st October 2018, 06:58 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Hello Pinnocchio, A design of diode section just like crc supply with SK104/129 heatsinks, etc would require a complete rework of the layout and would make the length > 100mm.
Old 21st October 2018, 07:17 PM   #604
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

My boards have almost finished production from JLCPCB. Thanks for the gerbers Prasi! There was some discussion in another thread about slowing the ramp up of the CapMx via a revision to the RC time constant. Is there a simple way to accomplish this changing a few values? It would be a huge benefit to my ALPHA 20W build.
Old 21st October 2018, 07:34 PM   #605
Project16 is offline Project16  France
diyAudio Member

Hello all

Maybe a pcb with only the recovery part (to220 diodes, heatsinks and connectors) could come into being, so the choice with this pcb or bridge rectifiers standard would be possible.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:26 PM   #606
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project16 View Post
Hello all

Maybe a pcb with only the recovery part (to220 diodes, heatsinks and connectors) could come into being, so the choice with this pcb or bridge rectifiers standard would be possible.
+1
Old 21st October 2018, 09:26 PM   #607
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark Johnson,
Thank you for the excellent cap mx design that you have given us. I really like how well it works. If we wanted it to have a very slow rising ramp output voltage, can we simply change R2 and R6 to adjust the R2/C3 R6/C7 RC time constant? On the Juma Easy Peasy cap mx, we have 10k and 220uF for a 0.7RC time constant of about 1.5s. This is nice for amps that have turn on thump problems as the slow rise eliminates this issue.

Can we simply change the 150R to 4k7 to really slow down the initial chargup - will it still allow the cap mx to work properly?

Thanks,
X

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st October 2018, 11:04 PM   #608
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

My "contribution" was merely to suggest three little tweaks

(a) Use a cascade of two emitter followers, so the base current drawn from the capacitor node is small, so you can use a bigger filter resistor ("R2" in post #607) and a smaller filter capacitor ("C4") yet get plenty of low frequency attenuation

(b) Connect a multiturn trimpot that lets you dial the dropout voltage (Vin - Vout) to be as large or as small as you like. It gives you a safety margin against propagating input ripple through the circuit onto the output, and you can set that safety margin as big or as small as you please.

(c) Connect the emitter resistor ("R4") of the upstream transistor ("T1") to ground, not to the output node. This reduces output impedance and improves performance with load current waveforms that are large dynamic range square waves, such as 5% to 99% to 5% to 99% to 5% etc

Other than that, the circuit belongs to whoever implements it. It's yours, it's not mine. Do with it as you like. Build it. Measure it. Simulate its behavior. If your simulation results show unexpected or weird behavior, rejoice! It's a learning experience! Dig in and understand what's going on and why things happen the way the simulator says they do. If you've made an honest and thorough effort, yet still can't understand your results, if you post your results along with your misgivings, diyAudio members could maybe offer their advice and analysis. Who knows, I might too.
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:23 AM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
+1
with new and improved features!
Attached Images
File Type: png diode bridge.png (121.0 KB, 248 views)
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:31 AM   #610
Vunce is online now Vunce  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice Prasi!
This would be a nice board option to have on hand for a variety of projects.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance MultiplierHide this!Advertise here!