Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

I finally found some time to make some test boards. I' m waiting for the mosfets now to test them

attachment.php

Attachments

• mult.jpg
    mult.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3,075
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
IRFP240's are rated 12amps continuous at 100 deg C. I don't think they will be the power limiting bottleneck in your circuit.
There is something you have not read or not understood.
The irfp240 must be de-rated to 60W when Tc=100degreesC. (De-rating Factor = (150-Tc)/(150-25) = 150-100/150-25 = 0.4).
At 12Adc that means the Vds cannot exceed 5volts.
If you do match 5Vds and 12A for Ic, then the Tj will be 150degreesC.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sure Andrew. Nobody runs their amps at 12amps continuous but peak 10amp current can probably be handled just fine for a few seconds. Most Class A amps around here are no more than 1.5amps so 5v x 1.5amps = 7.5w, well within the 60w.

Thanks for reminding us of the SOA, but lets dispense with the "there is something I have not read or understood..." type patronizing remarks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi everyone,
I'm building an alephj mini version with one pair of IRFP240 which needs +/-16V. I would like to use the attached Juma's cap multiplier from post #10. I guess I have to start from a 2x15V transformer but I need to ask what should I change to the resistors' values.

Attachments

• sch.JPG
    sch.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,281
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The resistors control the ripple control response rate in combination with main cap value (220uF). Just know that there is a 4v drop across the multiplier. So you need about 20v DC. Under load, the transformer's output will sag about 1v or two. So if you will use the cap values shown in schematic, don't need to change resistor values.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Prasi,
It would be nice if your PCB also had option of installing spade connectors for AC in and DC out, rather than screw terminal blocks.
Thanks.

Just something interesting that I noticed: many people in the Pass forum will not install spade terminal pads on their amps as they like flying lead soldered connections to the PCB. Try finding an amp over there that has spade PCB terminals.

Why the Hate for Spades?