Oppo Resistor Identification

I have an Oppo DV-981HD dvd player. the player stopped working so I decided to open her up for a look. There is a burnt resistor in position R511 on the power supply board. Since the resistor is burnt I can't read the value. I searched online and no schematic available. There are two colors at each end that didn't get burned. One is gold and the other looks like dark green or black. I tried a suggestion to put a multi meter on one of the leads and the other just before the break in the wire. Repeat on other side. Add the two together and you would be close to the value. The problem is that there is no visible break. I get a value on one side and the other side gets no reading. The exposed core looks like it has a spiral winding. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

gold tells you it was a ±5% tolerance.
The other end would be the first figure of the value.
The multiplier colour code is the most important. That gets you into the correct decade of resistance. This multiplier colur code is next to the gold band.

The core is probably a ceramic rod.
The resistive coating is a metal or metal oxide surface that is sputtered on. Then they cut a sprial groove through that film coating.
The length, width, thickness and resistivity of the spiral coating gives the resistance. If it's a carbon film then the coating is quite soft and easily damaged.

If you can carefully remove the damaged resistor from the PCB without damaging it any further, you may be able to take some measurements when on the bench. You will also be able to inspect the helical spiral at high magnificaton to see the burnt area. The paint/epoxy overcoat will probably have exploded off the burnt area.

R511 on Oppo 981HD PS board

My 981HD PS failed in the same area as the R511 you mentioned has failed on yours. However it is the TC512 capacitor that has carbonized itself on my board. The R511 may be damaged too but it is not apparent and the color code of the R511 is as following:
brown-black-brown-gold
which translates as:
1-0-10-5% or 100 ohms 5%

Yet when I measured it I found 207 ohms so I suspect it has been damaged by the incident and I will change it.

Perhaps you can help me: the TC512 capacitor being blown up, I do not know its value. Anyone with a schematic or the value for this capacitor ?

Thanks

Thanks for the schematics and layout. The 970 power supply seems to be similar in design and layout to the 981 power supply but is not identical, alas. There is a TC512 capacitor too, and in almost the same position on both boards but the R512 are totally different and in different sections of the board.
I already changed the dead capacitor TC512 for 80uF-50V and the same failure occurs (seems the PS feeding the front panel lights is oscillating) so something else is dead too.

In the mean time I have resorted to reading PAL DVD on my PC :-(

It is an old post but I am replying for others' reference who want to repair their Oppo.

My DV-981HD has pink light on the power button. Oppo technical support said they no longer service DV-981HD. I opened the top panel and found that some capacitors are swollen and R511 is blown. I contacted Oppo again and asked the resistance value of R511. They said it is 470 ohms. But they also said it's likely the ED16310 chipset is damaged as well and the chipset is a customized chipset and is no longer available.

Last edited: