Rectifier Diode Snubber;

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
10uf across the mains ! If that's true then I would label that as poor design and a real potential safety risk. Geez, even a 0.1uf can 'bite' if its charged to peak voltage (340 v plus over here). As a repair tech I've been caught by that on more than one occasion when it was fashionable to have filter caps before the mains switch. Grab the dangling plug top and you got a belt.

What about power factor and all that stuff...

Wow! Ten microfarads from 115VAC Line to 115VAC Neutral?? That would need to be an X2 safety rated capacitor, and the cheapest one I could find in 90 seconds of searching, costs about three dollars in quantity 100 (link).

I wonder whether he could save himself some money by installing a large diameter, heavy, Metal Oxide Varistor (or bidirectional TVS!) instead. Those things have astoundingly high capacitance. He'd get the capacitance he wants, and a dollop of surge protection too.

Yes it is not cheap but does do good things. I use capacitors rated for "Motor Run." Not "Motor Start!" Also for 220 V not 110 V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.