simple low noise regulated supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys
Would appreciate if someone can suggest a good + - 15v discrete regulator that can provide about 100 ma of current.

THks
You could try something like this.I didn't build it but looks good on sim.
Mona

Attachments

• DbbV.jpg
    DbbV.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 453
Thanks for the advice Chris. Unfortunately I have no experience in using 3 terminal device as current source. Tried a couple of regulators before including shunts but strangely sound wise
I find that the simple emitter/zener reg sounds best but am not sure of it's current supply capabilty.

Thanks for the advice Chris. Unfortunately I have no experience in using 3 terminal device as current source. Tried a couple of regulators before including shunts but strangely sound wise
I find that the simple emitter/zener reg sounds best but am not sure of it's current supply capabilty.

Attached diagram shows 7805 and LM317 as current regulators
in each case formula is Vref / R, shown on page 20 of the LM317 datasheet
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm117.pdf

Looks like the LM317 has received an update to its application data too, now
with suggested layout's.

Cheers / Chris

Attachments

• 7805 and 317 current regulators.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 112
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not with every circuit, and if possible avoid capacitors directly on outputs.
In my humble experience using cap multipliers in prior stages is the correct way
to apply capacitance in power supplies.

Cheers / chris

I would be VERY interested in a regulator that is stable without output cap. I think it would qualify for a very attractive patent! It's the holy grail many companies have been searching for. So far they haven't got any further than a minimum output cap with low ESR.
So if you have it, let's have it Chris!

Jan

Hi Jan
78x series regulators to quote National Semiconductor
http://www.biltek.tubitak.gov.tr/gelisim/elektronik/dosyalar/30/LM7805.pdf
"It is not necessary to bypass the out- put, although this does
improve transient response. Input by-passing is needed only
if the regulator is located far from the filter capacitor of the power supply"

and under Features
No external components required

Why this is so, is because the output is coupled internally to the ground pin
typically with ST brand for a 7805 at 5k for a TO220 package, and 4,3k for a TO92
and 12k to 15k for a 7812. So rule of thumb about 1k for every volt of regulated voltage
is internal bypassing, making output capacitors for the most part unnecessary.

Cheers / Chris

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Guys
Would appreciate if someone can suggest a good + - 15v discrete regulator that can provide about 100 ma of current.

THks

I can contribute this compound BJT double polarity circuit. Classic series pass topology. Its output will be 0.6V lower than any chosen Zener value. It likes no less than 5V Vin>Vout to perform well and its JFETs should not have more than 2.5V VGS (OFF). For your 0.1A load current two very small clip on sinks will be plenty for the MJE pass transistors.

Attachments

• Simple CFP_Reg_Nov15_Salas.png
    Simple CFP_Reg_Nov15_Salas.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 124
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.