12VDC Linear PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I found the PSU seen on the attachment, FW 1299, made by Friwo. It is a 12VDC linear (low noise?) PSU using a CA723 IC and a 2N6121 power transistor. There is a trim pot for output voltage adjustment but seems not working. I googled and found a lot of schematics but not something very close to that. I emailed to Friwo for a schematic and they answer me that: ...we cannot submit you the schematic you asked for. This is due to the fact that we have phased out production of our type FW1299 - in fact we do not produce linear power supplies any more. This decision has been made by our General Management more than 10 years ago and consequently, no technical records have been kept of linear units since production of this technology has been stopped.

Would anybody help with the schematic?

Attachments

• FW-1299_W.jpg
    FW-1299_W.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 457
do you want to copy it or fix it?
just trace it out, how hard could it be for a 5W regulator.
uA LM CA 723 is an error amp along with a 7.2V reference (low noise yes)
or search by substitution with those additional prefixes and I guarantee you find the exact circuit.

Hi,

I forgot to mention the forum that finally I reached somewhere by reverse engineering. I found that Inv pin4 and Comp pin13 of the 723 are connected via a 100n cap. Nowhere found any info about the size of this cap. I run a LTspice sim and found that the psu output noise depends very much to the size of that cap. Since the psu powers an RF amp any info welcome.

Here is the sim result with 100n cap. I added a 4.7uF at NInv pin5 to ground, as per datasheet, as well as D1, C3, C5 at the output, which are not included in the original circuit.

Attachments

• 12V_400mA_psu.png
    12V_400mA_psu.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Hi,

I forgot to mention the forum that finally I reached somewhere by reverse engineering. I found that Inv pin4 and Comp pin13 of the 723 are connected via a 100n cap. Nowhere found any info about the size of this cap. I run a LTspice sim and found that the psu output noise depends very much to the size of that cap. Since the psu powers an RF amp any info welcome.

That cap helps to "slow down" the feedback loop and hence avoiding ringing

Change 100n to 1000n I got the attached from the sim. Is it better or overkill?

No true answer as it depends on your application. I won't change the suggested 100n value though. Too high a value and the regulator doesn't react fast enough to changes in load.

You would want to the simulate output impedance vs frequency, while using different values of that cap.

Last edited:
Looks correct to me. That is with 1000nF for compensating capacitor I presume?

The regulator stops being a regulator at 100Hz. Although Z_out already rises to >1ohm at 10Hz. This is unacceptable for a regulator.

Stick to 100nF and you should see the peak shift to 1000Hz.

Your noise simulation may show less noise with a bigger capacitor. However this is only for noise generated by the regulator itself, and does not include how well the regulator suppresses noise coming from the load. High output impedance means noise at the load stays at the load instead of being eaten by the regulator.

That is with 1000nF for compensating capacitor I presume?

Wrong! If you look at my post #9 pic the cap is 100n.

When cap value increases the peak goes down to frequency if decreases the peak goes up to frequency. The value of 100n goes the peak at ~100Hz (2x50Hz main freq) may be this done intensionally by the designer of the psu.

The amp loads the psu by ~200ma current at 12VDC, ie a ~60ohms load, then the source psu impedance is less than 0.5ohms in the sim.

Last edited:
I have started this thread in order to modify the psu (after I realized the circuit) for minimum noise at its output, that's why I presented some sims to study its behavior, although I'm not good to ltspice sims. If you're interested in looking at the design and offering insight to where I've got errors, etc, by all means please do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.