Go Back   Home > Forums > >

power cord upgrades,  and power conditioner
power cord upgrades,  and power conditioner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2014, 05:36 AM   #1
ksporry is offline ksporry  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default power cord upgrades, and power conditioner

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an upgrade of the power cord on my system, as well as a new rectifier.
Currently I got an APC line R rectifier, which i use because the power in China is plain dirty and unstable. I use stock power cos so anything should be better than what i have now.

I was thinking of a Sine 30 conditioner, but i got no idea what to use for power cord.

My setup comprises:
Opera Consonance Reference 5.5 my integrated tube amp
Opera Consonance Reference 7 media player
Opera Consonance Droplet LP5.0 my turntable
Opera Consonance PM2mk2 phono preamp.
Sony 555es sacd player.

As for my budget, I'm flexible, but I was thinking 250-350 us $ per cable. I realise different equipment can benefit from different power cables (which probably means the price can be different too).
As for my taste in music, i like warm airy sound but want to preserve details in the music and a tight bass tone.
Any suggestions?
Old 2nd October 2014, 06:20 AM   #2
aardvarkash10 is offline aardvarkash10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

psychiatric help?
Old 2nd October 2014, 06:24 AM   #3
powerbob is offline powerbob
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
psychiatric help?
Best answer.
Old 2nd October 2014, 06:27 AM   #4
cyclecamper is offline cyclecamper  United States
diyAudio Member

Assuming that the power cord is routed away from low-level signal cables, the signal cables are properly shielded and have appropriate levels and termination impedances, the amp is enclosed and shielded, and the power cord is of sufficient guage for the current demand, and the plug ends are clean, the only improvement over a stock power cord is perhaps some shielding, which probably isn't very effective anyway. With a decent power conditioner I can't hear any difference between a $25 cord and a $1000 power cord, because things like quality of the copper and insulation don't really matter unless you abuse the cord. This is a DIY site. Make your own. You can get really great male plugs and an IEC connector for the chassis end on ebay, add some shield braid, some nylon sleeve, some 10-guage 3-conductor wire, and make your own. I don't know what power jacks you have there, so I can't be more specific. But...save your money and spend it on speakers or a second power amp for subs perhaps. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but be skeptical and careful whose advice you take. Please don't spend $1750 USD on 5 overpriced power cords, unless your purposes have nothing to do with fidelity.
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:18 AM   #5
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Catalonia
diyAudio Member

Belden 19364 Audio-Grade Cable just 6.95 meter at Belden 19364 Mains Cable per metre, for DIY
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:43 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Belden 19364 Audio-Grade Cable just 6.95 meter at Belden 19364 Mains Cable per metre, for DIY
!!!!!!!
with an "Active Earth Screen".

Where do you suggest we connect that Screen?

Quote:
Worlds No.1 DIY Cable
Who gave Belden that rating?
Themselves?
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:48 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
Assuming that the power cord is routed away from low-level signal cables, the signal cables are properly shielded and have appropriate levels and termination impedances, the amp is enclosed and shielded, and the power cord is of sufficient guage for the current demand, and the plug ends are clean, the only improvement over a stock power cord is perhaps some shielding, which probably isn't very effective anyway. With a decent power conditioner I can't hear any difference between a $25 cord and a $1000 power cord, because things like quality of the copper and insulation don't really matter unless you abuse the cord. This is a DIY site. Make your own. You can get really great male plugs and an IEC connector for the chassis end on ebay, add some shield braid, some nylon sleeve, some 10-guage 3-conductor wire, and make your own. I don't know what power jacks you have there, so I can't be more specific. But...save your money and spend it on speakers or a second power amp for subs perhaps. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but be skeptical and careful whose advice you take. Please don't spend $1750 USD on 5 overpriced power cords, unless your purposes have nothing to do with fidelity.
Separating the mains power feed from the signal wiring does not seem to affect any of my audio gear.

I have tested unshielded twisted pair by placing it parallel and across and wound in coils next to and laid on top of powered mains cables (and on exposed transformers) and cannot detect any change in the Output of the power amplifier, during these tests.

I guess the reason that the Mains cable does not affect the signal cable is twofold.
a.) the mains cable wires are close coupled with a very gentle twist.
b.) the signal wires are close coupled and generously twisted.

These two interference reducing measures seem to remove interference effect simply due to attenuation of the interference.

It works for me.
Have any of you tested the effectiveness of twisted pairs?
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:04 PM   #8
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Are you trying to "compensate" ..... er ....... uh ....... "something"?
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:34 PM   #9
mcandmar is offline mcandmar  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I have measured a difference between shielded and unshielded cable using RMAA. Were talking about removing a small 50hz bump in the noise floor down at ~-100-120db so its not going to be audible with speakers or headphones, but there is a difference.

Having said that i make all my own cables using Belden as its just nice cable, and worth the 10 to me. As for spending $2-300 on a cable, you have lost me there.
Old 2nd October 2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Triodethom is offline Triodethom  United States
diyAudio Member

Some 30amp filters will do you more good . Power cable effect is small next to cleaning up the AC with medical grade ac filters they are not that expensive. About 30 dollars each . Medical grade give low leakage .

power cord upgrades,  and power conditionerHide this!Advertise here!