Gerbers - Low noise Power Supply for pre-amp type circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I thought I'd share this. I looked into making my own pre-amp and wanted a volume control. Long story short, the easiest route for me was to use the Tortuga audio LDR board as it had the remote control I was looking for and I didn't want to code a microcontroller to do this.

I wanted to put in a Walter Jung type phono stage as well so designed a low noise dual power supply for both. If you want some background, see Rod Elliot sound pages for "Super Regulator".

Power supplies are based on the "TPS7A4700RGWT" and "TPS7A3301RGWT". Gerbers, schematics and PCBs are attached if you want to make your own. This is for DIY only. You'll need a SMT rework station as the power supplies are small and cannot be put on via soldering iron.

PCB layout and design was done for smallish footprint double sided only, but enough flexibility to use other value parts. I find SMT parts easier to work with than through-hole.

The boards are around 2.9" by 2.6" and contain 4 regulators in total. 2 layer, double sided PCB. I made some of these and are using them in my pre-amp with Jung Type MM phono stage so the power supply works as intended. The Jung Phono stage sounds good too me but I'm only using a vintage TT with Shure M97xE cartridge.

Haven't done an extensive noise tests on these as the noise is very small. I'd need to built a special test unit as the scope cannot measure this. Used UFW1V331MDP, 35 volt 330uF as the through-hole caps. Schematic shows 100uF but you can change these depending on your application. One thing to note is the schematic has the polarity of the caps backwards on the negative regulator. The PCB silkscreen was fixed to show the correct installation for the caps but please be aware the schematic is incorrect.

I might have a few extra boards so if you want them at cost then PM me. Also time permitting, I might be able to put the power supplies together if there are only a few requests. If there is enough interest, a small manufacturing run is not out of the question. I do this for hobby only so no mark-up. These power supply IC are around $7.00 each so it is not a cheap option.

Hope all your projects are going well!:)

Attachments

• ps.zip
    505 KB · Views: 86
  • ps-001.JPG
    ps-001.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 204
  • ps-002.jpg
    ps-002.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 204
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.