can I use converter to 24v from 12v battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am building a boombox and have some questions about powering them. The amp requires 22-31v...so two 12v batteries in series would be ok, but having two batteries is heavy and you need a 24v charger.
Is it possible to use step up converter from 12v to 24v with 12v SLA battery and than charge the battery with 12v charger?

Thanks,
Milos

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The power supply needs for TK2050 are 22-31v 8.3A/200w ...so would a 12V SLA 7.2A or 9A + step up convertor to 24v would be ok, or should I rather use two 12V 5a in series?

No trivial task. If the amp needs 24 volt at 200 watt (8.3amp) then you are going to be pulling around 18 to 20 amps from the single battery at that current. Even a car battery would only sustain that for 2 to 3 hours. Music is different, and it won't be pulling anything like that most of the time but that's the raw numbers and how it works.

Two convertors in series... I wouldn't even go there tbh.

No trivial task. If the amp needs 24 volt at 200 watt (8.3amp) then you are going to be pulling around 18 to 20 amps from the single battery at that current. Even a car battery would only sustain that for 2 to 3 hours. Music is different, and it won't be pulling anything like that most of the time but that's the raw numbers and how it works.

Two convertors in series... I wouldn't even go there tbh.

Yes I know the RAW numbers...so I will try it with two 12v 5A sla and we will see how it will work :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.