Use Centre-tapped transformer without using the centre tap...possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but I can't find the answer...

Can I use a centre-tapped transformer without using the centre-tap? For example, if I have a transformer with a secondary wired as 40-0-40 then can I just wire the two '40' wires and leave the '0' wire unconnected?..or should I connect the centre-tap to earth.

I'm just trying to save some money by re-using an existing transformer that was previously used in a transformer with a full-wave centre tap psu .

I understand the different current/voltage multiples that I need to calculate (Toroid, Switchmode, Power Transformers Mount Manufacturers from MCI Transformer Corporation) but I just want to check before I do something stupid ;-)

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

You don't need to earth the center tap, but you voltage across the live terminals will be 80v (not a split +ve -ve rail)
The idea for a center tapped earth is for building site power tools which are normally 55v ov 55v ... so the idea is that if a person becomes exposed to a live conductor to earth the exposed voltage for electric shock is 55v which is classed as extra safe LV .. in this situation the center tap is earth .. hope this helps

:)

Well, I have a couple of transformers with dual centre-tapped secondaries wired like this: 2 x 40-0-40vac (so this would give me 4 x 40-0-40vac supplies) . I need 4 x 40vac supplies to feed psu's with bridge rectifiers (ie no centre-tap required). I was wondering whether there's a way of re-using the existing transformers or whether I need to buy new ones.

:)

Well, I have a couple of transformers with dual centre-tapped secondaries wired like this: 2 x 40-0-40vac (so this would give me 4 x 40-0-40vac supplies) . I need 4 x 40vac supplies to feed psu's with bridge rectifiers (ie no centre-tap required). I was wondering whether there's a way of re-using the existing transformers or whether I need to buy new ones.

See if yo can cut the centre tap winding where it's coming out of the transformer , then you have two separate windings . and use them separate or in parallel .Can you post a close up pic ?

Cheers ,

Rens

Last edited:
Yeah, but what are you trying to do? Do you have a schematic? If I understand, you have two seperate transformers, and each one has two separate 80VCT (40-0-40) seconaries, for a total of four 80VCT (40-0-40) secondaries? If so, yes you can use just one half of each one to get 4 X 40VAC, but transformer rating must be halved. But if you're going to use a full wave bridge rectifiers on each secondary for a DC power supply (4 X 55VDC), then you would be better served using two discrete rectifier diodes and the center tap for full wave 55VDC at full transformer VA rating.

Mike

Last edited:
Yeah, but what are you trying to do? Do you have a schematic? If I understand, you have two seperate transformers, and each one has two separate 80VCT (40-0-40) seconaries, for a total of four 80VCT (40-0-40) secondaries? If so, yes you can use just one half of each one to get 4 X 40VAC, but transformer rating must be halved. But if you're going to use a full wave bridge rectifiers on each secondary for a DC power supply (4 X 55VDC), then you would be better served using two discrete rectifier diodes and the center tap for full wave 55VDC at full transformer VA rating.

Mike

That's a good one , ( discrete rectifier ) Old school electronics !
Forgot about that along time ago !

Cheers ,

Rens

I don't have a schematic as such (it will probably be a salas BiB with Bridge rectifier) but I think you've given me the answer I need! If I use one half of the 40-0-40 I will halve the power but will get the correct voltage. I guess I could look into whether I can adapt the Salas PCB to accept 2 x discrete diodes rather than the usual 4 in bridge configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.