DC blockers and mains filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read all the above with great interest.
I run my TV and Blu-Ray player, digibox et al through a DeZorel G2, and my hi-fi through a Carroll & Meynell isolating transformer.
Both make a big difference, especially the hi-fi, which has better, darker (quieter) backgrounds.
The problem is that instead of the component transformers buzzing, these two do!!
I am sure it is due to "dirty mains".
I have bought a couple of DC blocker PCBs from Sjorstrom Audio (I note P-A is a member of this forum), but before I get the components, am I going down the correct route?
Thanks for any advice.

Made Easy
DSC03169.JPG

DSC03174.JPG

Ear. Customer loved them, and the unit sounded entirely different than one without. If I had a mic at the time the difference in bass would have been easily measurable.

Like I said, what they do, meh, but they do something very real. You'd have to literally be deaf to not hear the difference.

I have sold about six or seven DC blocker to very keen listeners and them and myself would say as you did one big improvement area is focus and sound stage. It just gets better.

I wouldn't play my system without it. Also a have spare for when I set up my headphone rig.

Which DC blocker do you use? If it is Rod Elliott's one, then I do not understand how it can improve/change the sound. None of DC can go through power transformer out into PSU and if you have DC in your AC line, then transformer will vibrate and create some mechanically induced acoustic noise. DC blocker supposed to remove that vibration -> noise.

If the transformer is more noisy under asymmetrical mains waveforms, the reason is normally full or nearly full saturation during one cycle.

You should observe the stray field in the dc-condition and compare it to the stray field in the no-dc-condition.

If the stray field doesn´t look exactly the same in both cases, then a possible explanation was found. ;)

Which DC blocker do you use? If it is Rod Elliott's one, then I do not understand how it can improve/change the sound. None of DC can go through power transformer out into PSU and if you have DC in your AC line, then transformer will vibrate and create some mechanically induced acoustic noise. DC blocker supposed to remove that vibration -> noise.

Correct. The transformer does not pass DC but has to cope with the effects of DC on the primary. It reduces the efficiency of the tranni and make it appear as a small tranni that it really is. Thus your amp, or whatever,cannot perform to its best.

No hard sell just good science. Yes the Rod Elliot design.

It would depend on the extent of the DC as to how bad it would affect the transformer.
I would have guessed the current shift would be DC shift divided by transformer DC resistance.

Many years ago I did some experimentation with shaded pole motors.
We wanted to control the speed using phase skipping.
If half phases were skipped the motor got hot quite quickly.
We found we had to control the motor by skipping both positive and negative cycles sequentially.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.