Effects of altering capacitances in this regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeking opinions of knowledgeable DIY'ers

Referring to Ce26, Ce28, and Ce,30 in attached pic.

Is there anything to be gained by increasing the values of any or all of these caps? Any potential detrimental effects?

TIA...

Attachments

• KA-7100 470,100,100.JPG
    KA-7100 470,100,100.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi Mooly :)

It is one of the LV rails in a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp.

I have read elsewhere that it would be beneficial to increase Ce26 and Ce30 but not Ce28. Might this be analogous to increasing capacitance on main PS caps?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its just a basic (but still good performing) zener based series regulator. I really don't think you will see any difference in regulator noise levels through increasing the caps, My advice would be to stick to the original values but ensure the caps fitted are good quality low esr types. The only possible improvements might (and its more for the satisfaction of doing it) come from adding small series networks of say 0.1uf and 0.25 watt 1ohm carbon or metal films across C26 and C28 to counter the rising self inductance of the electrolytics at hf.

The secret with any mods like this is to know your enemy and that really means scoping the rails at their destinations and seeing what if any problems are present.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.