diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

Generalized snubber

... there is no way i can do first hand measurments of my transformer and i will probably end up multiple transformers with this board.
Here are a couple of thoughts for snubber values:

Mark Johnson came up with a generalized CRC snubber in his Ringnot PSU for transformer of about 200VA.
• Cx = 3.3 nF, metallized polyester film, stacked, rated 50VDC and up
• Rs = 22 ohms, 1/4 watt or higher
• Cs >= 680 nF, metallized polyester film, stacked, rated 50VDC or higher
See here.

John Swenson believes that an overdamped RC snubber is good enough and is happy with 330ohm + .022uF for transformers 10VA to 1000VA.
See here.

Hope that helps.
Denis

i'll go ahead and try this. there is no way i can do first hand measurments of my transformer and i will probably end up multiple transformers with this board. i have wima 250v 0.01 uf and 0.1 uf film caps and also i have the resistors. i might have 0.15 uf ceramic Chinese no brand caps.

I'm building another power supply for an AJ, first was for an F5—anyone see any issues with putting the snubbers on the bottom of the board? So if I want to later I can hook it up to a different transformer? and resnub. Not that I have any plans...but changing them after the diodes are installed is a PITA.

As long as the PCB is mounted o standoffs long enough to clear the components, there is no issue at all.

That's what I thought. Thanks Jim!

And.... because there's always MORE questions...
In the build guide you used a 2.2K resistor for the bleeder? I didn't catch this until just now—I used a 22K in the first PSU because that was the part number in the BOM—and I didn't know enough at the time to ask the questions, but the range listed is 4.7K - 22K (you used 2.2K)(am I not understanding the values correctly?). I've read what I can find in this thread about bleeders... and I get that there's a range with different lengths of time related to how much power at the rails etc... My question is, am I bleeding faster or slower with 22K? slower? More resistance?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The bleeder is there to drain the PSU caps after it's powered down. Noting more complicated.

A higher resistance will be slower, a smaller resistance will be faster - if you have too low a resistance, say a short circuit, they will discharge very, very quickly. :) You want the bleeder to be slow enough to not present any load to the PSU under normal operation, which in our case would be measured in hundreds of ohms, so if it's higher, no big deal. I have a box full of 2.2K and that value works nicely.

Once this resistor value is above, say, 1K, the actual value is not critical at all.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you choose Cs >= (15 * Cx) for the input snubbers, then the same capacitor values can be used for both different transformers. Only the resistor value Rx changes, and so only the resistor Rx needs to be mounted on the underside of the PCB.

Most people here tend to choose Cx=0.01uF and Cs=0.15uF (a ratio of fifteen to one), which means these capacitors can be mounted topside and not changed when swapping transformers.

It would be wise to purchase an extra Cx and an extra Cs when ordering parts. Then throw the extra ones into your Quasimodo project box, to be used at some future date when you swap transformers. It feels good to know you've got the blood brothers of the parts on your PCB, there on your Quasimodo tester.

If you choose Cs >= (15 * Cx) for the input snubbers, then the same capacitor values can be used for both different transformers. Only the resistor value Rx changes, and so only the resistor Rx needs to be mounted on the underside of the PCB.

Most people here tend to choose Cx=0.01uF and Cs=0.15uF (a ratio of fifteen to one), which means these capacitors can be mounted topside and not changed when swapping transformers.

It would be wise to purchase an extra Cx and an extra Cs when ordering parts. Then throw the extra ones into your Quasimodo project box, to be used at some future date when you swap transformers. It feels good to know you've got the blood brothers of the parts on your PCB, there on your Quasimodo tester.

Mark, that is exactly what I did (purchase extras). And what my plan was with undermounting the resistor, and not the caps. Thanks for confirming!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
That's what I thought. Thanks Jim!

And.... because there's always MORE questions...
In the build guide you used a 2.2K resistor for the bleeder? I didn't catch this until just now—I used a 22K in the first PSU because that was the part number in the BOM—and I didn't know enough at the time to ask the questions, but the range listed is 4.7K - 22K (you used 2.2K)(am I not understanding the values correctly?). I've read what I can find in this thread about bleeders... and I get that there's a range with different lengths of time related to how much power at the rails etc... My question is, am I bleeding faster or slower with 22K? slower? More resistance?
That help if you like to be precise...Capacitor charge and discharge calculator

i bought film wima 0.01 and 0.15 but the 0.15 is 63v is that enough? the 0.01 is 250v lol

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Totally fine. 24v into 20000 ohms is 0.0012A , which is dissipating 0.02W

The bleeders drain the PSU capacitors to empty after power down, that’s it. Use the 20K and they will just drain more slowly, which is completely inconsequential.

Stuff them in the PCB and carry on. :D