Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 03:28 PM   #951
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKCox View Post
I assume “ringing” is detectable on a scope or simulation, but what are the audible effects of a ringing transformer in the listening experience? Blurred transient response? Just trying to get my head around this.
Yes it's detectable both in simulation and in the real world using an oscilloscope.

BUT, the magnitude and frequency of the ringing are dependent upon the choice of transformer, the choice of rectifier, the load current drawn by the downstream electronics, and other variables.

Some (happy!) combinations of these result in a resonant RLC circuit that is well damped even with no secondary snubber circuit attached. And they don't ring at all. Connecting a snubber to make double, triple, quintuple sure they don't ring, doesn't hurt but it also doesn't help either.

Other combinations of these result in Mucho Ugly Ringing, and a well chosen secondary snubber damps this out to nothing. Zero. Nada.

Which is a longwinded way of saying: it all depends. In some cases, adding a snubber has no effect. In other cases, it completely eliminates unwanted HF noise inside the chassis.

There are a few posts here on diyAudio in the Quasimodo thread, where people did before-and-after listening tests. My foggy memory of them is that about 3/4 of listeners found positive improvement, 1/4 of listeners found no improvement, and just about nobody found negative improvement (sound got worse after snubbers were installed).

Remember that many MANY well-loved pieces of classic audio gear, sound wonderful and have no transformer secondary snubbers whatsoever. Would they sound even better if retrofitted with snubbers today? Insert your opinion here. Better yet, go hack apart your collector's edition $75K Mark Levinson ML-2, install optimum snubbers, and give it a listen. Report data here please!
Old 19th September 2019, 04:37 PM   #952
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. A very clear explanation.
Pass F5, M2x, ACA, B1, B1 Korg; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX, Hybrid MiniMAX
Old 21st September 2019, 05:19 PM   #953
thompsontechs is online now thompsontechs
diyAudio Member

Any problem with a 2.2k 3W for the bleeders?
Old 21st September 2019, 05:29 PM   #954
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

2K2 3W will do fine.

Cheers,
Jeff.
Old 21st September 2019, 05:35 PM   #955
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mr. Young!

J
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:15 PM   #956
diyAudio Member

Default Getting Started on F5T V2

Bit of an update, not that anyone asked for it. I got the parts and proto to do the Quasimodo mytrans. Also, didn't have a scope, so i picked up a Rigol DS1054Z, I know analog would be better for this particular project... I read you can turn on most of the advanced features with a little effort.

I figured if I was going to do this thing I might as well do it right, and if not that, at least to the best of my ability not cutting corners hoping it will work and work well

A quick shot to let ya'll know I'm actually building one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190922_080434.jpg (736.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:32 PM   #957
diyAudio Member

If you decide to use the diode portion of the PCB (bottom of photo in #956) with two-legged diodes, I encourage you to go slowly. Look at the photos attached to post #1 in this thread, for example this one:

Click the image to open in full size.

When bending the legs, I encourage you to go slowly. If you overbend and break one of the legs, you just lost a couple dollars. Worse still, you may not have ordered extra diodes, so now you need to reorder and (ugh!) wait for the second shipment.
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:07 PM   #958
diyAudio Member

@Mr. Johnson

You know I noticed that photo when reading and I wondered about the 2 leg package there?

I'm using FEP30DP-E3/45GI-ND anything I need to know there? I was holding off installing until I looked at the snubber in the middle of the diodes. I have read so many pages, that I'm a little confused on where and what with the snubbers.
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:22 PM   #959
diyAudio Member

The diyAudio PSU board makes an effort to appeal to everybody, hence the word "Universal" in its name

Universal Power Supply – diyAudio Store

Some people want to use diodes with 2 legs. The Universal PCB allows that.

Some people want to use diodes with 3 legs. The Universal PCB allows that too.

Some people want "transformer secondary snubbers" so the Universal PCB includes them: CX1,CS1,RS1,CX2,CS2,RS1. If you want them, put them in.

Some people want "DC rail snubbers" so the Universal PCB includes them: C17,R12,C18,R11. If you want them, put them in.

Some people don't want either of those. It's easy: just don't stuff and solder them in the Universal PCB.

And some people don't really know what they want. About the only thing they can do is ask somebody they trust, "tell me what YOU wanted when you built your PCB, so that I may copy you."
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:50 PM   #960
diyAudio Member

I do get the universal aspect, and understand it was the best, most cost effective, way to get a workable solution for many builds. I'm also sure it was a headache to think about all the possible permutation and put a board out that was truly diverse and functional.

The problem comes in when you got guys like me trying to build on them. There are so many threads and posts, it's hard to follow and also find the build that YOU want to do.

I guess I need the PASS amp for dummies book.

Okay, "Tell me what you wanted when you built yours, so I may copy you!" :P

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!