diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

If I built a tunnel out of the risers sold on the store here, like 300mm long by 180mm wide, could be 90mm or 120mm high, I could put a pair of AN-6224 transformers inside the tunnel, with two full sets of PSU boards mounted on top of the tunnel, above the transformers. I think if my PSU boards will allow it I'll go 120mm high, so most of the vertical clearance is on the transformers. This would free up a ton of space in my 5U chassis, get the transformers further from the signal path than they could otherwise be, and maybe even provide some shielding, but it's not something I've seen done before which makes me think it might be a bad idea. Maybe thermal or interference concerns? Super-interested to hear what y'all think. Thanks a bunch!!!

If I built a tunnel out of the risers sold on the store here, like 300mm long by 180mm wide, could be 90mm or 120mm high, I could put a pair of AN-6224 transformers inside the tunnel, with two full sets of PSU boards mounted on top of the tunnel, above the transformers. I think if my PSU boards will allow it I'll go 120mm high, so most of the vertical clearance is on the transformers. This would free up a ton of space in my 5U chassis, get the transformers further from the signal path than they could otherwise be, and maybe even provide some shielding, but it's not something I've seen done before which makes me think it might be a bad idea. Maybe thermal or interference concerns? Super-interested to hear what y'all think. Thanks a bunch!!!

That can very well be a great setup. Check EUVL’s F5x pictures for inspiration, it has a similar layout.

I guess, the reason why it is not very common might be it is much more meaningful for 5U height chassis: so that you can still put long capacitors on top of the riser plates/tunnel of Toroids. Yet, 5u cases have already pretty large floor for component placement, so no need for stacked components..

My 2 cents

That can very well be a great setup. Check EUVL’s F5x pictures for inspiration, it has a similar layout.

I guess, the reason why it is not very common might be it is much more meaningful for 5U height chassis: so that you can still put long capacitors on top of the riser plates/tunnel of Toroids. Yet, 5u cases have already pretty large floor for component placement, so no need for stacked components..

My 2 cents

Perfect, exactly the sort of guidance I was looking for. You are totally right, the F5X looks pretty similar to what I'm dreaming up. I've made an inquiry over there to hopefully get some guidance on the finer points, or any considerations I may have missed.

Glad to hear this might be viable, I think it would be a really great configuration for what I'm dreaming up - an F5Tv2+cascodes in dual mono, with a soft start board. From back to front I want to fit a soft start, a terminal strip, two AN-6224 toroids, two monolithic bridge rectifiers, and two full sets of PSU boards. I definitely have room to mount everything in my 5U without stacking, but things are starting to feel a bit cramped. And the further I can keep the toroids away from the signal chain the more comfortable I'll feel. I think it would be totally doable without stacking anything, but it's appealing to me all the same.

Greatly appreciate your reply, thanks again!!

Perfect, exactly the sort of guidance I was looking for. You are totally right, the F5X looks pretty similar to what I'm dreaming up. I've made an inquiry over there to hopefully get some guidance on the finer points, or any considerations I may have missed.

Glad to hear this might be viable, I think it would be a really great configuration for what I'm dreaming up - an F5Tv2+cascodes in dual mono, with a soft start board. From back to front I want to fit a soft start, a terminal strip, two AN-6224 toroids, two monolithic bridge rectifiers, and two full sets of PSU boards. I definitely have room to mount everything in my 5U without stacking, but things are starting to feel a bit cramped. And the further I can keep the toroids away from the signal chain the more comfortable I'll feel. I think it would be totally doable without stacking anything, but it's appealing to me all the same.

Greatly appreciate your reply, thanks again!!

You are most welcome!

Sounds like you have a great setup lined up!

When you need 2 transformers and 2 power supply boards, they take space, stacking might be a really good idea.

Btw, you will need 4 monolothic bridge rectifiers in total, rather than 2. (2 per each channel’s power supplies) :)

Dont forget to share your amp’s pictures!

You are most welcome!

Sounds like you have a great setup lined up!

When you need 2 transformers and 2 power supply boards, they take space, stacking might be a really good idea.

Btw, you will need 4 monolothic bridge rectifiers in total, rather than 2. (2 per each channel’s power supplies) :)

Dont forget to share your amp’s pictures!

Yeah, thanks! I'm stoked that this tunnel will work out, I put an order in for the risers. I definitely will be sharing pictures as the build progresses. So far I've only built the soft start board.

For the actual PSU rectifier I'll be using the diode boards included in the PSU PCB kit, building out one per channel per power supply totaling 4 as you say. The monolithic bridge rectifiers I'll be using are for the floating grounds, as described in the PSU schematic found in the F5T manual, highlighted here:

qKKqOhI.png

I thought I would only need one of those per power supply, rather than per power supply channel. NocturneVid66 walks through them around here in part 2 of his F5T build. I have spare CL60s but I would need to order two more monolithics if I do need to run four floating grounds instead of two. What do you think?

Thanks again!

(I may be wrong but) the board is 1 PSU with a positive, a negative, and a ground output (ground is doubled because you can split the board), so you‘d need just one ground-lift per board.

Maybe you even need only one for the whole double-PSU but here I‘m really guessing.

Perfect, that's what I was thinking. Just making sure syracuze thought I meant PSU rectifiers when I was actually talking about these floating grounds. Glad I don't need to order more monolithics, even if the Vishays I got are only a few bucks a pop. I'll be following NocturneVid66 and doing one per PSU, cheap enough that there's no reason to risk running just one overall. Thanks!

One audio gnd per PSU, meaning one common audio gnd per dual rails, not one per rail. One per rail means a direct loop area. And guaranteed hum, IMHO. Dual mono, another business. So one ground lifter for a stereo PSU. But never tried myself, so who knows, I might be wrong. Have been many times. But of this I am quite certain.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Im asking again a quick question about the 1 ohm 3 watt resistors R-11 & R-12 and the .01uf capacitors C-17 & C-18 on the power supply boards. Are they to be used? Should they be used? Is there a benefit or does it hinder ? It appears in the build at the beginning of this thread doesn’t have them. Thanks

Im asking again a quick question about the 1 ohm 3 watt resistors R-11 & R-12 and the .01uf capacitors C-17 & C-18 on the power supply boards. Are they to be used? Should they be used? Is there a benefit or does it hinder ? It appears in the build at the beginning of this thread doesn’t have them. Thanks

Those combine to make an output snubber, not needed on a class A amp.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I may have a screw up, but am not positive and need some answers from the forum. I don’t know what the hell I did but initially I ordered all my parts so hopefully I can get start building and not have to keep ordering parts. Well, not so much because I’ve placed several more orders because I didn’t order appropriately. I’m building hopefully a dual monaural F5T V2. Anyway, from Digikey, somehow I managed to order (8) FEP30DP-E3/45 diodes and then from Mouser I ordered (8) VS-MUR3020WTPBF diodes. I received both. Can I use the latter on one supply and the FEP30’s on the other ps or should I order 8 more FEP 30’s from Digikey and have piece of mind? Looking at the data compared to each other looks the same. From what I see the VS-MUR3020 just appears to be obsolete?

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You were actually paying very close attention to parts and don’t realize it. :) :) :)

Use the FEP30s in the supply, (and order more if you are building dual mono PSU) use the MUR3020 as the “turbo” diodes.

The diodes are not identical in the one specification that matters, and that’s forward resistance vs. current flow. I.E., the Turbo effect of the F5T.