diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

Ok, I’ve fixed the wiring. It was in fact the problem... not a failed component! Everything works fine and the new wire paths are an improvement. Five SS amps and six tube amps from scratch have me finding better solutions even if many would scoff... but hey, what’s the point of building for yourself if you are not going to explore your own abilities and style?

Cheers!

Nice!

Great thank you. I'm planning on powering a pair of lm3886 amp boards with this, kind of overkill, but this is what I have to work with. So I would want an output voltage between 25v to 30v with load. Which components on this power supply may I skip since it is not powering a class a amp?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Using the parts and pieces you already have on hand is always important, and yes, it’s overkill, but what the heck, it’s DIY. :)

Output voltage is dependent on your transformer. What transformer do you have?

You don’t need a ton of capacitance for a LM3886, I’d just populate one cap per ‘corner’ of the CRC. Or use smaller caps, I.E., no need to spend a bunch of money. No need to make it look like a Class-A PSU with enormous caps, it wont make any difference.

Don’t populate the output snubber. Input snubber is fine to use.

i did, it is not. i'd just forego the input snubber for now, but those components are located between the heat-sinks, so if I dont put them there now, i'll never be able to later on. so i got to figure it out and put it there before soldering the rectifier and there will be no changing them.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Without having your transformer to measure please understand that any guess as to the value of Rs (because its the resistor that actually does the snubbing, not the capacitors, and yes, there is such a thing as too much), is going to be a guess. So try this -

0.01uF Cx
0.15uF Cs
30ohm Rs

Without having your transformer to measure please understand that any guess as to the value of Rs (because its the resistor that actually does the snubbing, not the capacitors, and yes, there is such a thing as too much), is going to be a guess. So try this -

0.01uF Cx
0.15uF Cs
30ohm Rs

i'll go ahead and try this. there is no way i can do first hand measurments of my transformer and i will probably end up multiple transformers with this board. i have wima 250v 0.01 uf and 0.1 uf film caps and also i have the resistors. i might have 0.15 uf ceramic Chinese no brand caps.