Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Scope

I have a Siglent SDS2304X that I like pretty well. The probes are junk, but they can be replaced in time. I think you'll like the Siglent.

I do recommend this article by Limor Fried on scope bandwidth. If, after reading it, you're satisfied with the 50mHz, then that's awesome. It may work well for you, and if so, can save you a ton of money. I use mine for more than audio, so I wanted a little more bandwidth.

Have fun with it!

Fidget, Thanks for your help with the scope project. It arrives tomorrow. I got the
Siglent SDS 1202x-e based on your thoughts and referenced article. 200MHz version. For me, the bandwidth will be a big help. Appreciate your input.

Now I just have to learn about it. First scope.

Regards,
Don

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I took the challenge and try to get a Quasimodo assembled.

Somewhere, Mark made some comments about a user's published Mouser-BOM, basically telling other not to take away our learning-experience. Appreciate.

So, yeah, here I go and try not to make the same error twice and find out myself what the ^* of a part this (or that) probably could be.

And, I'm not whining here, just a tad, uhm, ironic?
If it is okay with you, I may come back with my BOM/Cart for inspection? I prefer being "lectured" (Mark has, as we all have, his very special tone, sometimes—ironic? :cheerful:) than buying stuff I didn't want to...

And not to forget: :worship:
Mark, thank you very much for all you give to the community, many of it I don't yet know how good it is!

so well then:
:cheers:
david

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There is a BOM for the low priced board "Cheapomodo" attached to post#1 of this other thread over here

And also, right here in the Quasimodo thread which you're reading now, there are several attachments to post#1. One of them is a .zip archive file with a promising name. When we look inside the archive, pleasant things are seen. Look at the file dates. Cowabunga!

Please, if anybody wants to publish their own B.O.M. or Mouser Shared Shopping Cart or Digikey Spreadsheet or anything else related to Quasimodo: please go right ahead with my blessings, thanks, and good wishes. You might get questions about it occasionally, from brand new thread subscribers.

_

Attachments

• picture.png
    picture.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
And also, right here in the Quasimodo thread which you're reading now, there are several attachments to post#1. One of them is a .zip archive file with a promising name. When we look inside the archive, pleasant things are seen. Look at the file dates. Cowabunga!

_

Hei Mark
…Cowabunga :D
Thank you (again).
I'm already having fun with the eureka-file (trying to deduce those parts into a mouser-number...). The CheapoModo BOM is like a cheat-file with all those Digikey-nbrs... Well. Now you got me confused wether I got the cheapo or the 'regular' V4.
Hope you and the forum aren't losing patience with my ignorance.
Right now, I feel like being close to my yippiekayee-moment. (and a little silly, too :) )

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Too old to have watched TMNT on the telly

Old enough to remember surfer dudes saying Cowabunga

Not old enough to remember Howdy Doody and Chief Thunderthud

attachment below

"TMNT" I have heard of. Al others—no clue. Here, we had Heidi, and some other american goodies like Bonanza, Tarzan, Daktari ...

but it's getting a bit off-topic :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
request for crosschecking my bom, pls!

Dear all

I think I'm more or less through and got my basket filled with the parts for my QV4...
But I absolutely not sure if all parts are correct.
I triple checked with the BOM, and I crosschecked with the cheapomodo's BOM (and found two issues).

Would somebody be so kind and check my bom for errors? especially the capacitors, diodes, mosfets... ?

hrm.
What definitely doesn't fit are the Preci-Dip headers. I just can't find the correct part @ mouser. If nothing helps, I'll cut some apart for an ugly-looking-but-still-working Quasimodo.

Forever grateful :)
(ahem, seriously: manymanythanks!)
david

Attachments

• Quasimodo-V4-TH-Mouser-Bom.xls.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 92
Joined 2019
Paid Member
my left ear,
I am short on time and can't review the whole list but I understand your pain with the preci-dip. PITA
Here are the numbers for 3p single row and 4p single row. I got 5 - 3's and 4 - 4's and just ran them parallel. You can't even tell. Just a little harder to solder to make them perfect. part numbers 310-83-104-41-001101 and 310-83-103-41-001101.

side note if you did not read Marks report. He mentions the EPCOS/TDK series
caps for Cs and Cx. series B32529. You will actually use these on your PS builds so I got 20 each. .01uF is B32529C103J 63Volts and B32529C1154J 100Volts. Both are part numbers. I always use parts numbers as vendor will automatically supply their own number.

I just did this.

Ask me individual issues and I will reply but it will be in 3 to 4 hours.

Good luck.

Don

Hope this helps

ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I got these results for a Toroidy TS500VA audio grade....
I used the default caps, & it took 27ohms...
Great device. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 16B81CF8-BBEE-4DDC-9947-1D209F5FED5A.jpg
    16B81CF8-BBEE-4DDC-9947-1D209F5FED5A.jpg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 2EB87CF7-00B0-42EB-853E-C8F21140D0F9.jpg
    2EB87CF7-00B0-42EB-853E-C8F21140D0F9.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 35EFBC3E-FDBB-4F71-BED1-49688FAE9829.jpg
    35EFBC3E-FDBB-4F71-BED1-49688FAE9829.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I am designing the snubbers for my Salas SSLV 1.3 regulator boards.

I am using a Quasimodo V3 surface mount board.

I have attached a photo of the scope trace I am getting after what seems to be the best achievable damping.

My final Cx=.0033uF Cs=.01uF Rs=75 Ohm

If I raise Cs much above .01uF I get repeated ringing across the scope that cannot be damped. The amplitude of the ringing is also much greater.

Does my final result look reasonable?

Is the Cx of .0033uF likely high enough to overcome the capacitance of my transformer secondary winding(Unknown) and the 4 MSRF860 diodes in the PS bridge?

Is a 3:1 ratio Cs/Cx reasonable for proper in circuit operation of the snubber?

Attachments

• DSC_0357.jpg
    DSC_0357.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 253
Yes. I just double checked them to be certain. Also if I increase Cs to the recommended value of .15uF the ringing displayed look like the normal undamped examples I have seen, However I cannot damp the ringing unless I lower Cs significantly. Then I get the trace I am showning in the photo in my post.

I am designing the snubbers for my Salas SSLV 1.3 regulator boards.

I am using a Quasimodo V3 surface mount board.

I have attached a photo of the scope trace I am getting after what seems to be the best achievable damping.

My final Cx=.0033uF Cs=.01uF Rs=75 Ohm

If I raise Cs much above .01uF I get repeated ringing across the scope that cannot be damped. The amplitude of the ringing is also much greater.

Does my final result look reasonable?

Is the Cx of .0033uF likely high enough to overcome the capacitance of my transformer secondary winding(Unknown) and the 4 MSRF860 diodes in the PS bridge?

Is a 3:1 ratio Cs/Cx reasonable for proper in circuit operation of the snubber?

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I got these results for a Toroidy TS500VA audio grade....
I used the default caps, & it took 27ohms...

While result is fine, your transformer is still underdamped. For 500VA transformer, I would expect resistor value close to 10 Ω. Look at the picture from Quasimodo manual: optimal damping is red line. Your result is green line.

Attachments

• Damping.PNG
    Damping.PNG
    191.1 KB · Views: 257
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yes. I just double checked them to be certain. Also if I increase Cs to the recommended value of .15uF the ringing displayed look like the normal undamped examples I have seen, However I cannot damp the ringing unless I lower Cs significantly. Then I get the trace I am showning in the photo in my post.

Is your Quasimodo successfully verified on some other transformer? If not, then it could be that Quasimodo is not working properly.