Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #1391
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay, now that I have 100 of the NTD4906 chips in stock I have a couple of questions about their use.

In the Quasimodo, we use it to knock on the transformer and get it to "ring".

As with most parts that MJ--the Michael Jordan of Solid State, selects typically best in class at their price point and he's got a keen sense of no B.S. circuits that just plain work. Now, please forgive my ignorance here as I'm a relative solid state newbee. If MJ wants to join in that's fine, but not required....

What are some of the other uses for the NTD4906? I see CPU Power deliver and DC-DC converters....

I probably won't be building these, however surely the have uses for the tinkerer, DIY fix-it and make it better, stronger, faster?

I was looking at the data sheet to see if there was a noise disclosure in the data sheet. Wondering if this could work in lieu of the control FET in this circuit?

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control Fet HP339A.jpg (137.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by SyncTronX; Yesterday at 07:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #1392
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

NTD4906 had the very best Marks Figure Of Merit For a Quasimodo MOSFET, among all thru hole MOSFETs with Logic Level (<= 2.5V) Threshold Voltage, sold and in stock at DigiKey in September 2013.

F.O.M. = 1 / (RdsON * QgTOT)

What else could you use it for? I have no idea. Any general purpose application where a low threshold voltage NMOS would work, and where you know in advance that no heatsink will be required, and where RdsON less than 8 milliohms is beneficial.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #1393
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

With a logic level <= 2.5 Threshold Voltage (TV), that wouldn't preclude it being used in a standard 5V TTL circuit as it would capture even low pulses from 2.5 to 5V? I'm trying to recall what the Threshold Voltage is in the F-16 aircraft. When I was working the Lockheed Martin Plant in Fort Worth, the electric guys were always B*tching about folks using the standard multimeters changing the aircraft's breaker settings because the check voltages of the meters were too high.

cheers,
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #1394
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Dude, try it and find out! You've got the MOSFETs. Solder on some 1" pigtails of 22AWG for easy insertion into pluggy protoboards. Then lash up some circuits and find out. Drive it from TTL; does that work? Use it to drive TTL; does that work?

Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jigHide this!Advertise here!