How to mount a toroidal transformer vertically?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Don't!

If the U bolt is conductive and if it is electrically connected to the chassis (which I assumed is metal) it will result in a shorted turn. If you can guarantee insulation of the U bolt from the chassis it will work but will not be a sound design since these locations can be difficult to insulate permanently.

I've always used an L bracket for vertical mounting.

Matt

Joined 2002
Paid Member
They make these and I have them...

Attachments

• DSC01964.jpg
    DSC01964.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 1,063
If the U bolt is conductive and if it is electrically connected to the chassis (which I assumed is metal) it will result in a shorted turn. If you can guarantee insulation of the U bolt from the chassis it will work but will not be a sound design since these locations can be difficult to insulate permanently.

I've always used an L bracket for vertical mounting.

Matt

Hi,

Isn't your L bracket metal, too? I assume you still bolt the transformer to the bracket, don't you? And the bracket is bolted or screwed to the case?

Thanks.

Hi,

Isn't your L bracket metal, too? I assume you still bolt the transformer to the bracket, don't you? And the bracket is bolted or screwed to the case?

Thanks.

Toroidal transformers still mystify me. I believe it has something to do with putting what is essentially a solid metal ring around the transformer, as opposed to a mounting bolt through the middle. I seem to remember reading that fully enclosing the toroid in metal does the same thing, but then I've also seen jacketed toroids for sale.

I'm going with the L-bracket method but I'm interesting in hearing the theory behind this.

yes go ahead and do it....
remember also that rubber under is merely for mechanical protection, even without it, the bolt is still insulated due to the fact that the clamp on the other side does not touch the chassis...

the idea here is that the bolt must never form a complete electrical circuit so that the resulting shorted turn ensures trouble....
i see ApexJr has some nice vertical mounting hardware, mine is made from 2mm thick aluminum plate so formed....

I used "nailplates" or whatever they are called in english, used for nailing wooden beams together when you erect a house frame.

To explain I add a link to a swedish/finnish supplier for general hardware
Vinkelbeslag - Biltema

Price is in euros. This is in turn is 90*90mm and 3 mm thick. Zinc anodized and provided with enough holes to fit anything anywhere...

Should be readily available in any well stocked hardware store?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
So theoretically I could wrap a length of rubber around the toroid, which would insulate it from the u-bolt and the chassis?

No you can't. the U-bolt would form a conductive loop with the chassis (assuming that the chassis is metal and they are not insulated from each other). Wrapping the transformer does nothing.

The reason why the plates work is becasue the bolt only goes through the centre and does not continue around the out side to form a continuous loop. The rubber is there to protect the insulation on the transformer from being abraded when it is clamped.

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.