A single LED on an dual DC supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I've searched in text books & googled but coudn't find any information on connecting a bi or tri color LED to a dual (+/-) dc supply as a power indicator to show the status of both supply lines.

All equipment using LED power "on" indicators seem to use only a single LED connected either to the positive (or negative) dc line.I wonder if it's at all possible to use even a tricolor LED to achieve this?

Any "bright" ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Get a voltage between 0 and V- using a couple of resistors voltage divider, making sure enough current flows to power LEDs through it, and use this as your common cathode, with anodes to V+ and Ground via resistors.

You will have to jiggle with the resistors a bit, as when V- dies, it will affect brightness of V+ LED.

Thank ye all for the excellent suggestions! Following "Sofaspud's" suggestion, I just found this 4 lead/3 color LED by "Ming Optics" on

www.mpja.com with the part no. 171370P

Detailed Description

5mm (T1-3/4) Tri-Color RGB LED. Transparent, diffused case. Common Anode with separate Cathode for each color. Red630/Green525/Blue430nM, R200/G300/B150mcd Min. output. Max forward current 20mA continuous. Max Forward Drop: R2.5/G4.5/B4.5V. Max reverse Voltage =5VDC. 30deg. viewing angle.
1" leads

1: Red
2: Anode Longest
3: Blue
4: Green

However, the "Ming" data sheet is showing a different lead configuration! for the same part no.! ie:17137?..(without the last 2 figures!)

1.Green
2.Blue
3.Anode/Cathode
4.Red

Do you think these 2 parts are the same?

Last edited:
Multicolor LEDs are usually available as both CC and CA. The cathode-to-anode types seem to be only 2-lead parts. So I can't think of an elegant way to do this. My drawing of Robert's suggestion will work, and here's an alternate way adding a 1N4148 diode that functions similarly. Otherwise, DF96's suggestion of some type of logic switching seems like the next step up.

Attachments

• bi-led.png
    bi-led.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 353
Multicolor LEDs are usually available as both CC and CA. The cathode-to-anode types seem to be only 2-lead parts. So I can't think of an elegant way to do this. My drawing of Robert's suggestion will work, and here's an alternate way adding a 1N4148 diode that functions similarly. Otherwise, DF96's suggestion of some type of logic switching seems like the next step up.
The circuit on the left will not work. The one on the right will, but it has a flaw: both LEDs will light as soon as the positive supply is present.
Here are two examples: the left one is based on common cathode LEDs, and they will light if and only if their respective supply is present.

On the right is the two-terminal version: the AC voltage from the transformer serves as a switching source.
The LEDs will light only if the AC voltage AND their respective supply is present.

Attachments

• LEDex.gif
    LEDex.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 191
The circuit on the left will not work. The one on the right will, but it has a flaw: both LEDs will light as soon as the positive supply is present.
I'm not seeing why the first circuit wouldn't work. Is the voltage difference too great?
For the second circuit, if the negative line is open why would that LED light? Something downstream? I had it figured that the change in color would be the fault signal. The flaw was that the third condition only caused a brightness change, not a color change.
You have interesting solutions. I had considered a variation of the left circuit, then began to wonder if the different Vf's of a RGB LED could be utilized to show three status colors.

Just my 2 cents worth...will any of these combinations help?

The 1st LED is a 2 anode + 2 cathode device.....forgot where i found it! Is there anway the 3rd circuit could be modified for a +/- supply?

Attachments

• 2 anode + 2 cathode LED.jpg
    2 anode + 2 cathode LED.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Bicolor-comon cathode.gif
    Bicolor-comon cathode.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 155
  • led-display-for-on-off-battery-indicator.jpg
    led-display-for-on-off-battery-indicator.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.