Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filter capacitors - motor run?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2019, 10:51 PM   #31
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Potgieter View Post
.... and then I come with the experience of many decades, and comment that I think that obsession with motor run caps is overrated. Especially these days of better quality electrolytics ....

Having replace e-caps 4 times in the ST70, I hate them with a passion. I've got 8 pieces of equipment lined up for the workbench that need new e-caps. Now my main ST120 amp I use 14 hours a day, that I re-ecapped with 3000 hour service life CDE caps in 2011, (the longest life 3300 uf 80v in stock that day) needs it again! The 50 uf 440 VAC 1000 vdc Genelec polypros I put in my H-182 organ will likely NEVER need replacing. Pity a polypro 3300 uf 80 v cap would be the size of a dorm room refrigerator, and cost $$$$.

Last edited by indianajo; 11th May 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:58 AM   #32
Johan Potgieter is offline Johan Potgieter  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Indianajo,

I can obviously not fault your experience; I was not there. In contrast my amplifier remained switched on for the last some 15 years, discounting vacations and the sometimes power cuts that we have here in summer (thunderstorms). They are Hitanos, 2200F 63V, working under some 40V each; in the p.s. seried wirh divider resistors. In a few other places I also use electrolyics.

The only relevant factors are ripple, temperature and brand. Thus the difference must come in in some of those factors? As said before I also use Philips (valve amplifiers), thus higher voltages. I must include my workplace, where many hundreds of electrolytic caps. were used.

??? ???
I cannot hazard a guess. Certainly in your case I would agree with you, and I will not enter into argument wth you; our experiences were different. Also it will be a little thick to argue that by chance you were unfortunate to only acquire bad examples while only good ones came my way. I cannot begin to think of reasons why; each of us will have to (re-)examine our own cases of application.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:39 AM   #33
JasonPJackson is offline JasonPJackson  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most, but not all caps labeled "motor run" are polypropylene. The ones that are usually measure well, perform perfectly and are ridiculous value. I use them for larger values in passive loudspeaker crossovers without issue.

Filter capacitors - motor run?Hide this!Advertise here!