AC Line Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got 'em in all of my tube amp projects; they were leftovers from old work prototypes. The ones I have are Schurter 4A rated medical jobbies.

One thing that I have wondered about using them is......although they may be rated for say 4A, you could easily have pulses of greater than 4A depending on the conduction angle of the power supply rectifiers & caps, and I have no idea if they are still effective at high (pulsed) currents.

I did not use one in my last project, a Mini-A from the Pass Labs forum. (Class A SS).

I don't build anything without a mains filter. Mains supplies are notoriously noisey. You want to keep that mains born noise out of your amp. This is particularly true when toroidal power trannies are used as they have huge bandwidth and noise couples to the secondary very well.
cheers,
Ian

noise filters....

i'm also planning to use these things.....are they good?

Attachments

• EMI.jpg
    EMI.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,633
  • Image0790.jpg
    Image0790.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,639
Last edited:
It is just possible that an amplifier may sound different with and without an external AC line filter.

Why?

I will start the suggestion list with:

The amplifier is marginally stable, due to bad design and this results in non linear amplification when short term transients enter the amplifier, either via the PSU, or via the conventional input nodes.

How to avoid this misbehaviour in the amplifier - design it properly !

How many other reasons are there?

Discuss please.

Interesting !
What about the other way around , suppose you have a class D amp (or 5 of them ) and a SMPS switching like hell , does the line filter do any good keeping all this nasty Mega and Kilohertzes away from your beloved DVD player and preamp and or processor ??

Cheers ,

Rens

How many short term transients do you think occur during a song (or whatever is being listening to). How many of those transients are of a size that cause a 'change' - or vice-versa get clipped. Imho - zilch.

The emi filter could decrease the stiffness of the AC supply (due to series resistance and a titch of inductance). An isolation transformer would have a similar characteristic.

The capacitance to earth in the filter could lead to noise between the amp earth and the earth use by other connected equipments.

I think you are conservative.

Every CFL is producing hash. Refrigerators and other motors produce sizable surges. This stuff is not just from YOUR house, but will come in on the power line from outside as well.

And now the power grid is being used for communications between intelligent power meters and the power company computers.

Power lines are gigantic antennas. They radiate and pick up.

Power is nasty.

How much 50/60Hz do you hear through your speakers??? Is that coming via the AC mains rms level?! Do you think your power supply has similar attenuation for other frequencies, or does it magically lose all filter performance at other audio frequencies?

I suggest you look for other entry paths in to the audio chain for refridgerator and other 'hash' than via conducted mains signals. And if you do have a poor refridgerator, then putting a filter at the amp is the least effective management path for that source of noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.