SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Hello All,

Today i finished SSv1.1BiB #2 - With this one i aim for 5v 1amp. It will be used on my Squeezebox Touch. This time i use 220uf Nichicon FG's for the caps, Mill's CCS resistor and again 15000uf Mundorf Mlytic smoothing cap, Mur1520 Diodes...

Pics Attached.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have 1.25v dropped over my 2 ccs resistors and they add up to 2.6ohm
so 1.25/2.6=482ma current not quite what i was aiming for but it still works..i think because i have applied Soundcheck's mods to the Touch and so alot of features are disabled such as screen etc..so the touch is not pulling that much current...i will however increase the current at a later stage...also will properly box up everything but i was just testing it out and it was easier to measure this way...after an hours music voltage is 5.2v and mosfets are not hot i can easily touch and hold my finger on them.

So what about the sound...well everything has become much tighter...the bass is fuller and tighter, imaging much sharper, soundstage tighter, like everything has snapped into focus, also seem to have more punch...im very very pleased with this shunt regulator...thank you so much again Salas.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I believe you did not forget to use a jumper instead of R107 ( or 307) since you terminate with an electrolytic this time. You can up the current a bit, looks like the consumption is near enough your CCS setting, so the shunt Mosfet does not burn a lot, thus cold. Is the CCS Mosfet hotter to the touch?

I believe you did not forget to use a jumper instead of R107 ( or 307) since you terminate with an electrolytic this time. You can up the current a bit, looks like the consumption is near enough your CCS setting, so the shunt Mosfet does not burn a lot, thus cold. Is the CCS Mosfet hotter to the touch?

Hi Salas,

Yes i jumpered the R107 resistor.
Not sure which is the CCS mosfet? but the IRF9610(i think this is the CCS Mosfet) gets hotter, its not cold there is heat but i can touch and hold my finger there without having to remove. The IRF9530 hardly gets warm!!

Does your DC in on the filter cap stay over 10V, the Tx holds OK?

Tx is 12v 2amp, I got about 14.4vac after rectification and Tx seems stable, not sure on filter cap as i have not measured this...but was playing music for the past hour or so and everything was ok. Will increase current a little and also check that DC stays over 10v on filter cap...thanks Salas :)

I have read the thread and tutorial but I'm still having some difficulty figuring out an exact BOM .I plan to use the BJT version operating them at +&- 15 volts 200ma.If anyone has built the 15 volt version my questions are.
1) How many and what colour LED's.
2)Do I need a trimmer for voltage setting or just use fixed resistors? If so what values.
3) Should R101,201,301 =10R 2watt.
4) Should R102,202,302 = 270R 1/4 watt
5) Should R106,206,306 = 27R 1/4 watt

Thanks any help is much appreciated.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a resistor that adds loss so the electrical superiority is lost. You can use whatever dielectric you like subjectively, still the MKTs are neat on the board and keep it compact. Which helps to have a tight layout and loop area. There are also KEMET and Pana MKP box caps 22mm pitch in online vendors.