SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Thanks Salas

I received my little case for the BIB a few days ago and finished it last night. The box was only $20 shipped. I will miss Taobao when I leave China next year.:( I wish I had a nice plate to sit on top the transformer. The Chinese writing on top the old transformer looked bad.

Anyway it's has been running nicely at around 350ma per side plus the load and it's stable. Now it's time to do a little work on my headphone amp.

By the way 6.8uf wima MKS fit perfectly on the board.

Attachments

• BIB.jpg
    BIB.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 288
I have esperiencia, a power supply for DAC Philips CDPRO first adding a 30W transformer, and then add another 30W more, the improvement was very noticeable. So I do not want to stay low.
I have a second box for transformers.
I'll try to 100W.

* Which is more your taste, toroidal or conventional, Compre Transformadores de montaje en panel Transformador de montaje en chasis RS, 18 V ac, 100 VA, 2 salidas , Montaje en panel RS 10-5884 en RS Online y lo recibir en 24 horas..
It seems that the conventional best isolates the RF noise that toroidal ..

thank you very much and greetings

I've just completed my +/- BIB regulator pair but have to do some trouble shooting this evening so thought I would seek a steer from you guys before I start.

I've built a positive and negative pair. Target voltage is 15V. Load current is 350mA and I'm adding 135mA shunt, so total current = 485mA.

R1 on both is 6R8. Transformer is 25VA with 15V secondary. I'm using a 47R 10W resistor as the dummy load (15/47 = 320mA).

The negative supply is fine and currently steady at 15V. I'm measuring a voltage drop of 2.6V across R1 so around 380mA current. That all looks fine to me.

On the positive supply I'm getting a Vout of around 17.8V that I cannot adjust. All LEDs are lit. I'm measuring a voltage drop of 2.6V across R1 so around 380mA current, just as for the negative supply.

All passive components are identical value and type on both supplies.

I've not got the time to investigate further now (work can be so inconvenient) but will be grateful for any suggestions for where I start looking later.

Cheers

Ray

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've just completed my +/- BIB regulator pair but have to do some trouble shooting this evening so thought I would seek a steer from you guys before I start.

I've built a positive and negative pair. Target voltage is 15V. Load current is 350mA and I'm adding 135mA shunt, so total current = 485mA.

R1 on both is 6R8. Transformer is 25VA with 15V secondary. I'm using a 47R 10W resistor as the dummy load (15/47 = 320mA).

The negative supply is fine and currently steady at 15V. I'm measuring a voltage drop of 2.6V across R1 so around 380mA current. That all looks fine to me.

On the positive supply I'm getting a Vout of around 17.8V that I cannot adjust. All LEDs are lit. I'm measuring a voltage drop of 2.6V across R1 so around 380mA current, just as for the negative supply.

I've not got the time to investigate further now (work can be so inconvenient) but will be grateful for any suggestions for where I start looking later.

Cheers

Ray

Could you post a pic? At first look it seems the problem is not related to CCS: I will check the voltage reference area.

Best

Felipe

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Cheers

Ray

Ray hi,

I would suspect Q106, Q105 & Q104. Measure for Vgs, Vbe.

You need to be careful with your dissipation on the CCS MOSFET IRF9530 when handling 1.7A. The power dissipated on it is going to be its voltage across, which is VDCin-VDCout, times 1.7A. Use 3 LEDs and some available value around the 0.6R 5W mark for Rset. Use 1C/W sink or better. Verify your real current by measuring voltage across Rset and dividing by its value. There are tolerances beyond the indicative chart.
~7V VDCin-VDCout is a conservative value between enough RegDrop voltage and non needed dissipation. Use just 1 red LED & 2K trimmer, in "see text" area.

I have finally put together a pair of SSLV1.1 kit, now targeting 10-13V at 0.9 - 1.1 A

I am using:
Q101 = Q106 = IRF9530
Three green LED
R set = 0.5R
"See text" = c. 2 x red LED, R303 = 1.8K, 5K trimmer and other parts jumper.

I connected 18V AC to the board, and a 12R dummy resistor.
Upon switch on, all LED light up, no smell, no smoke, no pop....and no heat as well (except the dummy resistor)
The voltage across the dummy = 17.9V
But turning the trimmer do not have any effects.

How to locate and correct the mistake I have made, please??

Attachments

• DSC_0767.jpg
    DSC_0767.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 221