SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes 20V is OK since 9Vout is all the Vref does and that cap is part of the Vref area.

I log in and out in regular intervals and I answer on first seen first served basis so a batch does not accumulate to go through after a day or something. Which would be tiresome and prone to mistakes or no answering at all if distracted.

The 18Vac winding could be used for the B1.
The 18+18Vac windings could be used for the Power Amplifier.

The only thing you have to do that is different from using separate (isolated) supplies is that the Zero Volts for both parts needs to be the same.

Because you want to go Centre Tapped, the CT is the Zero Volts.
That becomes the reference for both systems.

This one had excellent vivacity, natural tonality, and overall power too despite the evident tape hiss. PROKOFIEV LIEUTENANT KIJE STRAVINSKY SONG OF THE NIGHTINGALE REINER CSO (200G LP) at Music Direct

Prokofiev: Suite from Lieutenant Kijé, Op. 60 - YouTube
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Salas,

I had couple of listening session for all those LPs that I purchased with your help and this is the best sound experiences that ever got. Thank you my friend and I know now what is hi-end audio. All the rest what I have in my collection is a trash vs. these LPs. More advises what to acquire are welcome...:). Thanks a lot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fabulous sounding record, and the only performance that has made me truly love the Pomp & Circumstance marches. Find a British pressing if you can.

Thank you for a comment.
So far, I can't find any...
Some used one on eBay for $100 now, but I'll try to catch new....

Another digital supply question

I need to power the core cpu of the es9018, ~110mA consumption. I was going to go for 210mA total (shunting 100mA) or 325mA total (shunting 215mA), strictly based on the two resistors I have at hand. I'm trying of course to get the best performance, but also trying to minimize the heat in the enclosure. There's already two more SSLV1s in the case (the two I asked about before, 200mA total shunting 179mA each).

Which should I go after?

Thanks in advance, again...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Obviously the 325mA total is a beguiling prospect but you should compromise for 210mA unless there is some excess Vin-Vout situation that lends non necessary dissipation to the input MOSFETs. In that case you could avoid some total heat from that. You can work from 8V Vin-Vout for instance and change trafo if you got 12V difference.

*Vin is the DC RMS level across the main filter capacitor on each reg.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you could but maybe you could also apply a small low noise fan instead, those run very silently especially when little under-voltaged. One blowing across from the back or the side. Very cheap to test at least. Bigger value main filter capacitor is no problem. Focus more on ESR, DF, ripple current, life spec, temp spec.

Hello,

I've done some testing with different "pre-filter" power supply configurations on Twisted Pears shunt Placid HD regulator (on my Buffalo IIISE which have Trident shunt regulators on the main board as well) and the difference in sound quality with a choke input filter was NOT subtle. A big improvement in every way. Can I expect a similar improvement by doing the same on the SSLV's that I have in my 1541A DAC built (anyone interested can see pictures on Red Baron 1541A-I2S-En begynnelse) or are the SSLV's less sensitive regarding prefiltering?