cheap transformer or cheap death?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been dreaming of getting a particular 600W class D amplifier module that can operate off of up to 84V rails. I realized that 84VDC can be obtained from rectified 60VAC. I know that there are many super cheap step-up/step-down transformers that just have a 2:1 turns ratio and I could connect that to my USA power grid @120VAC to get out 60VAC, which I would rectify to get my rails. Then it also dawned on me that these might be cheap because they are actually autoformers, which don't provide any isolation. This means shock danger if there is a fault.

So, can I use a cheap step up/down transformer or should I avoid because they are autoformers? Should I just avoid step-up/down transformer (not necessarily autoformers) in general because of other reasons???

-Charlie

From another angle, you could look for vintage or newer high powered receivers not working from thrifts or yard sales.
I've salvaged many large high quality transformers from the like.

Not always easy to find but they are out there.
Saves bucks as we know the transformers are usually the most expensive part of DIY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.