Paragon System-E PS schematic needed

Paragon System E

This year I picked up one of these preamps and need to rebuild the power supply as well. The clarity was striking, even with the loud power supply hum so I'm anxious to get this up and running and in my system. Is Paul or someone able to help me with a schematic for this preamp? Thanks a lot.

Nelson

Thanks to Paul's generosity in sending me the schematic for the System E, (along with some other cool stuff) I was able to rebuild my power supply this weekend and I got what I expected, based on what I heard with the hum. The hum, so far (fingers crossed), is gone, it's dead quiet, just what I wanted, and a spectacular sounding preamp, definitely a keeper. Thank you again, Paul.

Now I've got my ear to the ground for a Model 12. :)

I drew this 30+ years ago, so bear with me. I just found it a few minutes ago. I'm surprised there is no Paragon systems E schematic out there, anywhere.

I added the shunt volume. The shunt volume is not stock.

Note that the volume implementation is critical. Note my happy little comments about how I thought it sounded. Done in the blinkered commanding know-it-all tone of youth, obviously. Back when I was really good at being painful.

I believe the original volume pot is a Alps 20k 'Black Beauty'. Sounds right. Odd how we can remember these things.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    977.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Wow. You might have been a pain 30+ years ago but I think you just made a few people happy with this, I've kept a burned out PSU for about 3 years waiting for this... thank you :)

The transformer was marked 300v, which I thought with rectification etc would go much too high... and the 360v DC B2+ in your diagram does seem very high for a 12ax7? Data sheet shows 300v maximum, it was over run to get a cleaner sound? Cheers, Mick

Wow. You might have been a pain 30+ years ago but I think you just made a few people happy with this, I've kept a burned out PSU for about 3 years waiting for this... thank you :)

The transformer was marked 300v, which I thought with rectification etc would go much too high... and the 360v DC B2+ in your diagram does seem very high for a 12ax7? Data sheet shows 300v maximum, it was over run to get a cleaner sound? Cheers, Mick

It can be a tube eater, so there's that to contend with....(as explanations may go).

I did it (getting the voltage numbers) in the form of measurements of the stock circuit and power supply, before any mods? I think? It may be from the orignal schematic itself. Just remembering. I think it's from the manual and I verified via taking measurements from a live circuit. I have access to the orignal manual from the owner who bought a Systems E when new. I have no immediate access to that orignal schematic, though. I'd have to bother people so I can plan a visit, make them search their papers and such for it, then drive 20 miles out of town, etc.

Even then, V3b would enjoy a gridleak resistor. Maybe the redundant 1Meg behind the 47k on the phono jack.

probably. I really truly can't remember If I got it off the unit itself or off a schematic in the manual. been too long. And errors abound, even in official manuals, so buyer beware.

I do note that I put a design date on the thing, so it might have been pulled off the published schematic. As schematics tend to have their publishing dates written on them.

Last edited: