Keantoken's CFP cap multiplier

thanks Andrew /Keantoken,
Yes, it was the sch. that mislead. Its should be similar to the LM317/337 that I did a while ago.

I am getting some boards made for myself and for anyone who is interested, if I may have Keantoken's permission.
regards
Prasi

Attachments

• layout kmult_reg-rev1.png
    layout kmult_reg-rev1.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 514
Jeez, Andrew - the layout is wrong - God has spoken - you're sent down for 20 years - you've failed - you're out!

Perhaps you could express your alterations in a more positive, diyAudio way - simply indicate where he might be able to improve the design, in your opinion, to achieve a better result - it called 'encouragement'.

Now, I might be mistaken but the 78** and 79** regs don't offer a uniform impedance across the freq and power range and also aren't low noise across the same range either, if I remember correctly, yes?

For an amplifier like the HPA-1, this way is (IMO, again) a preferable alternative even if the figures indicate otherwise - some headphone amps do use regulators last with good results, but I find there's a better sound with the C-Mx and K-Mx on the output -

Like a lot of things to do with headamps/phones, you have to try it out to find which one suits your 'taste'

You'll note that there has been no/little mention of capacitor selection here yet - that'll produce some prejudices, no doubt - early days ...

Prasi,
your schematic is going to mislead you into making connections in the wrong places.
The centre tap of the transformer must connect to the junction between C1+ and C1-

Good catch. The input C grounds form a big transmission loop for rectifier pulses..................

thanks Andrew /Keantoken,
Yes, it was the sch. that mislead. Its should be similar to the LM317/337 that I did a while ago.

That layout is wrong.
The Centre tap (CT) goes to the junction between the first two smoothing capacitors.

Jeez, Andrew - the layout is wrong - God has spoken - you're sent down for 20 years - you've failed - you're out!

Perhaps you could express your alterations in a more positive, diyAudio way - simply indicate where he might be able to improve the design, in your opinion, to achieve a better result - it called 'encouragement'.....................
I did !
both Prasi and KeanT acknowledged that the schematic is misleading. In that first post I described that the CT must go to the first smoothing capacitors (named C1+ & C1-). KeanT then goes on to describe the problems as aerial loops emitting EMI.

Last edited:
Coming to jameshillj's question,
which would work better in the upstream of Keantoken's K-Mult here (just opinions mind you)
1. LM78XX/79XX
2. LM317/337
3. none of the above but something thats entirely made of discrete components like Apex class-A pre-amp PSU?
4. shunt regulators?

May be a bit late to ask the question, as I have too far progressed in layout.:boggled: