Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keantoken's CFP cap multiplier
Keantoken's CFP cap multiplier Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 04:26 PM   #1101
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

Good catch. The input C grounds form a big transmission loop for rectifier pulses. The ground plane would not help with audio frequency rectifier harmonics. Trafo CT should be joined at the terminal blocks and then go to star ground.
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:02 PM   #1102
prasi is offline prasi  India
diyAudio Member

thanks Andrew /Keantoken,
Yes, it was the sch. that mislead. Its should be similar to the LM317/337 that I did a while ago.

I am getting some boards made for myself and for anyone who is interested, if I may have Keantoken's permission.
regards
Prasi
Attached Images
File Type: png layout kmult_reg-rev1.png (83.1 KB, 324 views)
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:05 PM   #1103
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

That layout is wrong.
The Centre tap (CT) goes to the junction between the first two smoothing capacitors.
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:17 PM   #1104
av-trouvaille is online now av-trouvaille  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Can someone please explain whether it is better to have a regulator before, or after the K-multiplier? Up to now, I have used the K-multiplier before the regulator, in order to make life more easy when regulating.
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:22 PM   #1105
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Placing the K-mx after the reg means you lose the low Zout of the reg.

Jan
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:29 PM   #1106
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

That makes the most sense, but there is one exception. The high inductance of chip regulators can cause noise peaks and resonances in the audio spectrum. The question is whether this is more audible than .02-.1 ohm output resistance of the KM.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:20 AM   #1107
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jeez, Andrew - the layout is wrong - God has spoken - you're sent down for 20 years - you've failed - you're out!

Perhaps you could express your alterations in a more positive, diyAudio way - simply indicate where he might be able to improve the design, in your opinion, to achieve a better result - it called 'encouragement'.

Now, I might be mistaken but the 78** and 79** regs don't offer a uniform impedance across the freq and power range and also aren't low noise across the same range either, if I remember correctly, yes?

For an amplifier like the HPA-1, this way is (IMO, again) a preferable alternative even if the figures indicate otherwise - some headphone amps do use regulators last with good results, but I find there's a better sound with the C-Mx and K-Mx on the output -

Like a lot of things to do with headamps/phones, you have to try it out to find which one suits your 'taste'

You'll note that there has been no/little mention of capacitor selection here yet - that'll produce some prejudices, no doubt - early days ...
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:58 AM   #1108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
That layout is wrong.
The Centre tap (CT) goes to the junction between the first two smoothing capacitors.
I think I need my sleep. doing two layouts (this PSU on one side and a 500W subwoofer amp on the other ) simultaneously I seem to be making lot of errors.

forgot C1+ existed.
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:00 AM   #1109
diyAudio Member

Oh, got it. The names c1+ and c1+1 although location is correct on sch , are exchanged on the layout on the positive rail.
A small break always helps.
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:33 AM   #1110
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Prasi,
your schematic is going to mislead you into making connections in the wrong places.
The centre tap of the transformer must connect to the junction between C1+ and C1-
Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Good catch. The input C grounds form a big transmission loop for rectifier pulses..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi View Post
thanks Andrew /Keantoken,
Yes, it was the sch. that mislead. Its should be similar to the LM317/337 that I did a while ago.
Quote:
That layout is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
Jeez, Andrew - the layout is wrong - God has spoken - you're sent down for 20 years - you've failed - you're out!

Perhaps you could express your alterations in a more positive, diyAudio way - simply indicate where he might be able to improve the design, in your opinion, to achieve a better result - it called 'encouragement'.....................
I did !
both Prasi and KeanT acknowledged that the schematic is misleading. In that first post I described that the CT must go to the first smoothing capacitors (named C1+ & C1-). KeanT then goes on to describe the problems as aerial loops emitting EMI.

Last edited by AndrewT; 23rd November 2017 at 08:37 AM.

Keantoken's CFP cap multiplierHide this!Advertise here!