1kW LLC converter

500watt

Luka
The choice of 500watts for now is I have an amp for test bed along with sufficent parts that will allow me to push things to limits along with a pcb layout that is almost complete.Cristi has these supplies at very low prices and to be honest if the shipping was not so high I would buy one of his but then that would short circuit my education in this area and workhorse is also correct you can surf the web and find many designs but most require special parts or other draw backs or they would be common in every aspect of consumer amplifiers because of all the advantages the offer over hard switchers..well back to LLC

I just called the Local Orlando OnSemi REP and I will see if I can get a few samples of these I will share what ever I get with all.

I only hope my eyes can work with the SMD's, I think I will buy one of those big magnifying glass lamps for my work space.

Chas1:

Can you sum up what would be the advantage of using the FULL bridge over the half bridge in this? I have not seen a schematic that has HIGH voltage and HIGH current, like what would be needed for a stereo amplifier, uses a full bridge configuration. I think I am going to put an effort into a low current high voltage smps for me to get my feet wet.

Plus and minus 100 volts at about 1 amp should do me, to feed a Dual Shunt regulator for the amp I am working on right now too.

I am looking to switch the upper and lower operation frequency of the smps based on the input voltage, based on a change/switching of components with a embedded system like the arduino.

Constant voltage, without the need to supply the high current fluctuations of the output stage.

I try to contact OnSemi today, I had some distractions and not much luck getting a hold of them.

Line Filter

We have common mode coils as well as thousands of parts in stock for our regular production.

We are manufacturing a 500w/ch home amplifier with PFC and quasi resonant half bridge supply.

We use twin common mode coils on the AC input with the usual array of X and Y capacitors.

No need for differential mode coils as the CM have enough leakage inductance.

Email me if you need some parts.

Steve

Zed Audio Corp
zedaudio@aol.com or
stephen@zedaudiocorp.com

FB vs HB LLC converter

To be honest I have done no research on FB, I have devoted all my spare time to HB and I am ready to start with supply this weekend, I have been waiting on IRF's new PFC controller IR1155 as the IR1150 is not for new designs, therefore supply first PFC later (one with 1150 & the other maybe 1155.However the PFC will be intergrated (on same pcb).

MOER

Thanks for info,I have read your comments about this in another thread where you were kind enough to inform everyone about this problem and suggested ways to overcome it, that is why I contacted IRF and they put me in a hold and wait for the 1155 that might address problems with the old 1150 but with the new comes a new set of unknowns that is why I will sample both so I want be caught in between , I will not waste too much time with IRF devices as there are other controllers that fit the bill a bit heavy on component count but there you are and believe me all of us can use your help in this area by the way I have emailed you about the IRS20955 IC that you have mentioned you have for 3.25 plus shipping does the offer still apply.Again thanks .

Update:As of now the IR1155 is not in the samples pipe line..

IR1150

Dear Chas

The new chip has the same issue.

The solution is simple. I designed a three transistor circuit which eliminates the turn on surge. I also use two other surge suppression circuits which keeps the turn on surge to about 0.6A at 120v input.

The offer is good to all on the IRS20955 chips at US$3.25 + shipping.

Please email me and I will send the schem of the IR1150 turn on surge.

The second surge protector is an SG250 in series with the positive output of the main rectifier before it hits the PFC coil. Bypass this with a relay after about 3-4 seconds.

The third is a simple series resistor with the bulk caps and also bypassed at the same time as the SG250.

Lastly I keep the 17v supply off for 2 secs to allow the bulk caps to charge to the peak value of the incoming mains. Then I apply the 17v and then I bypass the surge protectors.

I have been using the IR1150 for about 5 years now with zero failures BUT I use IGBTs exclusively as they are way more reliable than MOSFETs.

Use only high speed IGBTs.

For start up I use a simple buck inverter from Power Integrations and this supplies all start up supplies for the relays, the PFC chip and the PWM chip. Once the PWM is up and running, an isolated winding takes over from the PI chip and so it just sits idle during normal operation.

My supplies are complex but this complexity is worth it as the pro stuff needs to have features not normally required on our home amps.

My email address is: stephen@zedaudiocorp.com or zedaudio@aol.com

Please put DIYAUDIO in the subject line otherwise it is thrown to spam.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for all for your continued help and I am sure it will help all in this forum,Yes Iwould be interested to see your efforts with the 1150 because I use IRF products as well as Onsemi as thier apps people have been very responsive,Christophe Basso(Onsemi)who has pushed me to continue with this project.I will need the IRS20955's to replace my old tech amps.By the way do you have a supply of 1150's.Again thanks for your support.