the 1.25v of lm317

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a LM317 based ccs for tube heater PS, in order to get 600ma I used a 2R resistor, it supposes to have 1.25v voltage drop on it, but I only measured about 1.11v.
Then I added another 20R resistor in parallel to lower the total value to about 1.8R, surprisingly the voltage drop also lowered to about 1.03v
Finally I settled it with 1.5R and 0.9V which is perfect.
The LM317 is new from newark.com, ST brand. So I guess the 1.25v rule is not always the case.
Am I correct?

Did you include the bypass cap on the adj pin parallel to the voltage-setting resistor?

I built an LM317 circuit, the output voltage fell under medium loading, and voltage from out to adj also fell as loading increased. The cap turned out to be the problem. Clipped it off and the reg behaved itself properly. Stuck a new cap on and it was fine.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The 1.25 V is set by a bandgap and should be fairly solid (+/- 4 % AFAIR) over process, voltage, temperature as long as the regulator is stable and has enough voltage across it (Vin-Vout) to allow regulation.

Vin-Vout should be greater than 2.5 V and the regulator should be bypassed to ground both on input and output with 100 nF film cap.

~Tom

These same questions keep happening to the tube guys and their %#@$ filaments.
Its mostly comes down to using a filaments cold resistance and making sure the three terminal Vreg is not
1) Thermal/Current Limiting
2) Has enough overhead to allow regulation ie actual measured Vin -Vout

To be more pertinent on the questions of others, is the power supply at least four volts or so (for Vin-Vout>=2.5V, plus Vout-Vref=1.25V for a minimum of 3.75 volts) higher than the heater voltage rating? If not, the current regulator circuit will drop so much voltage that the heater won't get full voltage and likely won't pull full current.

What is the voltage across the filament?

If you push too much current into a fixed load resistance Vo rises. When Vo raises higher it takes away from the min voltage drop the regulator needs to see = (Vi-Vo)+Vref ~ 3.5 -4.0 V

Note If you lower the current or raise Vin it should work properly. Try using 500mA and eliminate Rdrop 0.75R

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.