To series connect dual secondary or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see two different ways to built a split ( +25V, 0, -25V) power supply

1) The transformer has dual secondary and two full wave bridges are used each followed by some filter caps. The two halves are tied to ground after the rectifiers

2) A center tapped transformer is used and the tap is run all the way out the the DC power output

Of course if I have a dual secondary transformer I can connect the two primaries and in effect make a center tapped transformer. So I have a choise. I don't see which is best. In the past I've used CT transformers but now I have a toroid with dual secondary so I want good engineering reason to go one way or the other.

I don't think that you will see any difference in power supply performance either way. If you go with the center tap you will only need one bridge rectifier at twice the current rating of the non-center tap way with two bridge rectifiers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.