Regulated SMPS strange mosfet waveforms :-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unregulated SMPS works perfectly ok without output inductor, but it's required for regulation without high component stress.

The output inductor will try to short the secondaries of the transformer while it's discharging resulting in square waves. Resonance only shows up when there is no output inductor, or when the output inductor discharges before next cycle begins (and this just happens at low loads).

The following waveforms show the effect and were captured from an off-line SMPS that I did some time ago (half bridge). Blue trace is primary current, red trace is primary voltage. Pictures are no load, medium load and full load.

Attachments

• 100A_3F.gif
    100A_3F.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 100A_3G.gif
    100A_3G.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 100A_3H.gif
    100A_3H.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
eheheh, stability problem, transient response, phase margin, gain margin....:p:p
...very complex..but not too complex:D

for now there aren't these problems. my smps work fine for me. obviously they can work better with proper skills, but i'm young:p..and lazy:yummy::p

now i understand "why" of that strange waveform, and i wanna say a "BIG thank you" for the replies, always accurate but extremely simply to understand.

thank you to everyone!!:):)

EDIT: Eva, i see now the image you posted. Very examplary. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.