transformer trix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At a hamfest the other day, I couldn't pass up an unused pair of about 500va EI transformers. Trouble is the secondaries are 50-0-50v, which is about 2x the voltage I would typically play with (might work on some mosfet project?). They are single primary 120v.

Being that they are a pair, what would happen if I hooked the pair up in series with 120v mains, would this halve the output voltage? Sorry if this sounds remedial to some of you, as I'm still learning what you can and can't do with transformers.

Thanks,

Scott

You could, but it won't work well. There is no guarantee they will share the voltage equally, so one output might be 40-0-40 and the other 10-0-10. The load you place on each will affect this even worse.

I suppose you could parallel the secondaries and series the primaries, but then you'd probably have some var flow to balance things out. Still not the right solution, but at least they're identical units. That would give you 25-0-25. Might be a fun experiment, if nothing else.

Thanks, I figured it was a long shot.

"...you could parallel the secondaries and series the primaries..."

I had seen this done somewhere which made me wonder if it would work without the secondaries in parallel. Guess not. I'll find a project for them someday.

Maybe connect secondary to secondary add some caps and make a line conditioner for low power source equipment.

Scott

Scott,
If you unwind the secondaries. each turn in the wire removed drops the voltage,as you proceed check the output until you reach the desired voltage. The tranny can be fine tune to the desired voltage with no consequence to the va rating. Not difficult at all.

Good Luck,
Brent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.