Bench supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please move me if i'm in the wrong section....

Does anyone know of any decent bench supply designs. I've been working on a few car amplifiers lately.
So i need possibly 40/50a @12v, so +ve and ground will be fine, ideally a remote (12v with just a switch) wil be perfect too.

So far i have tried a 12v battery with a charger across it, but i keep tripping the charger as it can't supply more than 4a @14.4v.
Then i tried a PC PSU whih drops to 11.5v, then cuts out if drawing anymore than 10amps.
However that wont even turn on sometimes if it detects conductivity from the +ve to the -ve terminal.

Bench Supply

Something like this ?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3089&keywords=power+supply&form=KEYWORD

CAT. NO. MP3089 RRP $199.00

CLICK TO ENLARGE

13.8V 40A Switchmode Laboratory Power Supply

A high powered 13.8V switchmode power supply delivering up to 40 A and suitable for use in development and test environments. The internal cooling fan will assist cooling at higher outputs and the unit has easy to use 4 mm banana connectors.

Specifications:

Input voltage range: 190 - 240V AC
Output voltage range: 13.8V DC regulated
Output current rating: 0 - 40amp
Output connections: 4mm Banana/Clamp Type
Recommended Fuse: M205 T4amp
Measures: 80 (H) x 117 (W) x 119 (D)
QTY
1+ $199.00
3+ $178.95
6+ $158.95

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.