The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I use the circuit in post #1616 for my 6SN7 pre amp filament.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...-voltage-shunt-regulator-162.html#post2014178

By the help of Salas, a cheap red LED inserted between the 500 VR and the Jfet, the 500 VR changed to 1K. The V out can be adjusted to 6.3V and feeding 0.6A to 6SN7 (series connection of an ampere meter and a voltage meter across the filament)

A very crude point to point wiring using very curde multi-purpose PCB for an elegant circuit.

Sorry about that I don't know how to make drawing by software for the changes.

Thanks Salas, by the way, how many ideas you still haven't released ? :mad: ha ha .............:D

Attachments

• 781214537_SendPhoto_20111215211721_1.jpg
    781214537_SendPhoto_20111215211721_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 780
  • 781214537_SendPhoto_20111215211759_2.jpg
    781214537_SendPhoto_20111215211759_2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 773
  • Bottom view 2.jpg
    Bottom view 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 763
I don't know how to say and even there is no solid evidence such as scientific measurement to proof it, but the fact is using regulator made of individual components other than 3-terminal chip is much better even it is an IDHT, particularly CCS included in the circuit.

My friend has the same 6SN7 pre amp like mine, the same config., the same SSHV regulator but with different output cap. He uses ClarityCap and mine is InfiCap. But his amp is using 3-terminal regulator for the filament. One day a shoot out was held and of course it was a blind test. End up using the individual components regulator for 6SN7 filament is more comfortable and attractive, no kidding, though 6SN7 is IDHT !!

Just like what Rod Coleman said that 3-Terminal chip as regulator is not a good idea and I believe even using one single BJT as passive regulator is still better than 3-Terminal regulator.

Feeding to 6SN7 filament before is the regulator from Rod Coleman. I will use Rod's board to heat the coming project - 6V6 pre amp.

I don't know how to say and even there is no solid evidence such as scientific measurement to proof it, but the fact is using regulator made of individual components other than 3-terminal chip is much better even it is an IDHT, particularly CCS included in the circuit.
board to heat the coming project - 6V6 pre amp.
Do you have a schematic for such regulator?

Do you have a schematic for such regulator?
The current regulator that I use is at the following link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...-voltage-shunt-regulator-162.html#post2014178

If I am not wrong, it is a CCS fed to the pass transistor which is functioned as series regulator.

Anyone please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

The board from Rod Coleman you better ask him, sorry about that because it is the intellectual properties of Rod. :)

hope the above can help you.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas
I asked: What do I need to do to get the Reflektor output to 37V?

Your answer:
With your 560s and 37V I don't see a problem for Q3 Vceo or dissipation so don't change something. Just use 10K trimmer for R5. Watch Vin max not to kill J1. J1 will see ~ Vin-5V.

I guess you mean R7 in the following circuit correct ?

Attachments

• Reflektor+24V.gif
    Reflektor+24V.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 976
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I finished the reflektor mods and am now listening to those powering my Benz 28V 48dB riaa.... Not bad at all. Splendid highs, good presence. I am amazed.

My first impressions where not that good so I decided to increase CCS current to 300mA and now it is singing.

I will keep listening and let you know my impressions after a while.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I finished the reflektor mods and am now listening to those powering my Benz 28V 48dB riaa.... Not bad at all. Splendid highs, good presence. I am amazed.

My first impressions where not that good so I decided to increase CCS current to 300mA and now it is singing.

I will keep listening and let you know my impressions after a while.

Happy New Year Ricardo, just curious all Salas shunt regs sounds good with more current:)

P.S. Pics will welcome.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After severall hours listening I find the reflektor a very very good performer.

It presents enhanced detail in the bass, maintaining very good presence. Highs are cristal clear and the reg is ultra low noise.

The voltage raises very slowly until it reaches the designed value so I advise a warm up period of 10 to 15 minutes before serious listening.

On Vref I am now using 2000u and 1u at the output zobel.

Raising ccs current from 200 to 300mA was a big revelation.

Salas... congratulations on this inexpensive, super stable and effective design.

PS:
These are old pics.... nowthere are only two 1000u on Vref and a 1u at the output

Attachments

• DSC_1154 web big.jpg
    DSC_1154 web big.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 801
  • DSC_1155 web big.jpg
    DSC_1155 web big.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.