The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Updated photos of the board, top and bottom. The bottom image shows the current 12k resistors tacked on, easier to remove and replace until final vout is set. I've been messing with the layout and realized I can make the center part of the board symetrical about the horizontal (image horizontal) board centerline. So, I can either have the big blue caps close together at the center of the board or at the outboard edges. I'm thinking that at the center of the board will be better as it will keep the caps away from the heat sinks. Any votes?

Ken

Hi Ken, very nice job,compliment. Some questions:
_what circuit do you supply? I think a BOSOZ, cause it's +/-60v at 120mA.
_Which type of mosfet do you use? Are they in TO262 body? Have they a hole
to screwing them to some sink?
I too want build the same PS to feed my BOSOZ , and I want use IRF9540, but at RS there's not the TO220 type, but only the TO262 one.
I'm very disappointed!

Thanks, Orazio

Hi Ken, very nice job,compliment. Some questions:
_what circuit do you supply? I think a BOSOZ, cause it's +/-60v at 120mA.
_Which type of mosfet do you use? Are they in TO262 body? Have they a hole
to screwing them to some sink?
I too want build the same PS to feed my BOSOZ , and I want use IRF9540, but at RS there's not the TO220 type, but only the TO262 one.
I'm very disappointed!

Thanks, Orazio

Hi Orazio,

I'm supplying a LME49811 chip. It needs about 20ma. Supplying 120mA at 60volts will require some big heat sinks(if it's not a constant current requirement). There are several tweaks required to make it run at 60v. You need to start reading somewhere around post 3358 (maybe a few posts before) for the tweaks that Salas made.

Then, post 3633 for the mosfets I used. I think they are To262's and yes they have a hole for a screw. I'm not the expert on them, need to ask Salas.

Why are you disappointed about TO262?

Ken

hi Merlin,
On the sense hooked up like you said post # 3708 ,If you vary the load then the Sense will compensate for the extra load correct,so the Voltage stays the same but current will float to the load demands ,correct?
Can this be measured inline with current meter in series with the load?
Thanks for all your help

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here you can get information:

Four-terminal sensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

478px-Vierleitermessung.svg.png

Kelvin (4-wire) resistance measurement : DC METERING CIRCUITS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.