Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2014, 06:31 AM   #6331
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Move to sense lines. Don't keep on feed points.

Wideband noise is a nuisance, difficult to know what is what when measuring with scope on a rail, especially when its digital. Look here EEVblog #441 - How To Track Down Common Mode Noise - YouTube

For own regulator noise we are OK with the SSLV1.1 look at the Linear Audio test fig 7 (middle of page links) with just 220uF Vref cap and ~100 mA CCS, a conservative example. We are just looking to avoid extra things.
http://www.linearaudio.net/index.php...d=39&Itemid=64
Old 26th February 2014, 07:10 AM   #6332
taisho_daniel is offline taisho_daniel  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas, and thanks for the reference. Looking forward to watching the video later.
Old 1st March 2014, 07:41 PM   #6333
PreSapian is offline PreSapian
diyAudio Member

sorry for the dumb question but how would i configure the regulator to be used as a floating supply for sen i/v which requires 18v?

+/- 9v on salas with the ground floating?

thanks in advance.
Old 1st March 2014, 11:59 PM   #6334
diyAudio Chief Moderator

In a pretty typical way like when stacking batteries. You could pre-test on two dummy load resistors in series between their outer pins and middle point. That is when you want a floating symmetric out of two positives. If you just want a floating 18V positive you make a single but don't associate its cold side with any ground in the client or chassis.
Old 5th March 2014, 04:40 PM   #6335
cwtim01 is offline cwtim01  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Latest version

Hi,

I read from the first post to page 280 of this huge thread, taking notes as I read, and it was up to version 1.2 then. I reckon it's probably more efficient if I could start from the post where the latest version of Salas's shunt regulator design was published.

Could someone point me to the post/page where the latest version was introduced.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cwtim01; 5th March 2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 9th March 2014, 11:03 PM   #6336
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Where can we find purchase details and parts needed? Specs also. :-) Like the poster above this thread is HUGE!!!
Old 9th March 2014, 11:28 PM   #6337
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Guys, see links in post#2. For boards on version 1.1 only ask Tea-Bag who organizes GBs.
Old 9th March 2014, 11:43 PM   #6338
cwtim01 is offline cwtim01  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Thanks, missed those links in post #2 when I first read the thread.
Old 14th March 2014, 01:50 AM   #6339
diyAudio Member

Phew. It's been a while since I last reported back in this thread. Work and stuff got in the way.

Anyway, I tried out Salas' last suggestion, moving the 47uF to the sense lines. That didn't change anything. Funny thing was tho, when I removed the 47uF from the sense lines, it still didn't change anything : the sound I was hearing was still sub par compared to when I first auditioned the system after improving the Vref cap to 1000uF FMs.

I probably messed something up when I started tinkering around with the zobel caps... A couple of suspects
* re-soldering at the DAC feed point (5.2V, 200ma) resulted in the output wires being not as twisted as before, there's a more than 1 inch loop that's not twisted
* I now get a funny reading when I check for a short between the + and GND points for the XMOS feed point (5V, 400ma). Black lead on GND, red lead on the +, DMM shows no continuity. However, black lead on +, red lead on GND there's a reading of 200k-300k ohms or so. The other feed point doesn't have this. Any idea how to resolve this?

After I fix those problems, I'll try out the 47uF on both feed point and sense lines again, as the earlier experiments seem to be invalid.
Old 14th March 2014, 06:11 AM   #6340
diyAudio Member

Question : how much of what I've tried out with the Zobel arrangement for the BiBs applies to the Reflektor?

The dual transistors I originally planned for are still a while out since there was a problem with the order and then there's international shipping, but I already have the pass MOSFET, and I have 48 pcs left over of the BC560C, so I can already include that for my weekend plans.

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!