Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This type preamps need ca. 15-20mA / channel, so with 25-30mA shunt current the power supply load is ca. 50mA /channel.

One SSHV2 (90-100mA) is also OK for both channels.

Lite Audio suggest 7815 and 7806 (7805 and and one diode from reference pin to ground) stab. for heaters.

http://www.lite8.com/product.php?action=723

I suggest he should measure a channel's rail consumption via voltage drop across 1 Ohm series resistor between SSHV2 and B+ input. Knowing exactly where to set CCS in his case is saving precious voltage drop in his rectification section.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's AC/AC adapter. Don't feed DC to the turntable. It has 90deg op-amp low voltage synchronous motor drive generators inside on a pcb. Some tables have DC motors but not this one. That board rectifies and filters the incoming 16V AC for its own use. Bigger better 16V AC transformer maybe, but I don't know if of any benefit.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Preamps are not considered much with best efficiency and power to weight ratio. Some preamps could be high gain though. Thus hum sensitive on how close to circuits you would locate the transformer. If to put it close in same box with high gain circuits the R-Core wins. Emits the weakest hum field.

In smaller sensitivity situations like moderate gain line preamps a good toroid with magnetic screen will also do a very good job. Its a metallic tape belt they put on its outer periphery before wrapping the whole up with insulation tape. Toroidy in Europe and Antek in America do that for example.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now looked on what Toroidy says: "The customer selects the level of modification and equipment specifics...

...Modifications include but are not limited to: core and coil saturation, electrical (between the coils) and magnetic (external anti-disturbance screen) shields, enclosures filled with epoxy resin, and vibration-proof mounting."

So make sure you clarify with them the type and what features it already has or you want it to also have.

Hi all!
I am new and just assembled the SSHV2.

Application is a preamp (01A) using gyrator board (Ale Moglia) and filament regulator (Rod Coleman) https://i0.wp.com/www.bartola.co.uk/valves/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/01a-preamp-gen2-v01..png

For Q3, I have the following sink.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's 6 cm. x 5 1/2 cm. x 2 1/4 cm aluminum.H+ in = ~200 Vdc

Regulated DC out (B+)= ~ 150Vdc
Current: 6 mA + 20 mA draw (for spare SSHV2)
Dissipation: 20 mA (150V) = 3W?

Is my calculation correct? The sink is good enough? Necessary to isolate sink from chassis even if MOSFET is isolated from sink?

Input much appreciated. Thank you sir!
Abe

Hello guys! I need some guidance troubleshooting the SSHV2.

I have followed the test procedure per SSHV2 build to a tee, including testing
and works fine. I only have 120 Vdc supply so I was unable to vary the voltage but the output V is almost the same as the input V.

I then connected the SSHV2 to the circuit (preamp). H+ is 198 Vdc. I can regulate the output B+, set to 150 Vdc (R11), and adjust the current (R4) no problem and the unit was operating smoothly. I waited 25 minutes, not much change so just fine tuning to set the V and I.

I was testing the preamp for about 45 minutes and I did not have a problem with the regulator. I connected two meters the whole time and reads 150 Vdc and 360 mV (36 mA) stable. I then connected I believe is a shorted tube and I heard two "clicks", that sound like a spark but no flash. As a result, B+ =9.3Vdc, but current was still 36 mA (360 mV). I measured H+ input and it was the same (198 Vdc). I immediately shutdown the power.

On the bench, I inspected the board visually. No burnt smell or burnt component I can see. Connected to 10k resistor (S0, F0 and S+, F+), I applied 120Vdc just like how I tested it and expecting about the same at the output. Instead, I have ~ 9.3 Vdc.
Is Q1 and Q2 blown? What is the best way to check it? I was unable to measure voltage from Gnd to bottom or R5.
Thanks!
Abe