Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yours does not, obviously. What are the differences? He uses CLC, you use one capacitor. Now what are the values for all those? What transformer secondary he specifies? 50mA at what voltage? Something is not optimized in your case for 50mA constant current to be drawn at the voltage level you require from that small vintage rectifier tube. You use just 6mA for your audio tubes you are lucky.

Salas...further to my post #3182...I have moved the second choke to parallel with the first choke....now with no load....the PSU output (accross the bleeder resistor, a 22K/50W) = 295V....and when I connect a dummy load of a pair of parallel 10K/50W that I have on hand (I hope it will be close enough to 6.4K)...the output = 271V....is it possible to work out the value of the bleeder to give say about 290V to the SSHV2 as input....to get 270V output from it please??......I will remember to send photos after it is all finished....cheers....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you will test with the bleeder installed plus one 10K that will indicate 42mA capability at the voltage it will settle. If that will be 285V or more, remove both resistors, connect the reg and set it to 40mA. install a 150K 2W bleeder if you got or get one to install later where the 22K was for capacitor bank exposed legs to be HV safe after turn off.

Hi all,
First of all apologies for the inconvenience and my little knowledge, I can have someone help Simplistic Mosfet HV connect Shunt Regs, V- of the power supply of my preamp. attached a picture.
I to place two Mosfet HV Shunt Regs, in my PSU but not as Mosfet HV Shunt install Regs for V-.
Thanks in advance.
regards

Attachments

• My preamp PSU.jpg
    My preamp PSU.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 275
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What kind you have made, SSHV1, 2, or nothing yet? There are older posts on how to mirror SSHV1 for minus polarity or in how to use two positive polarity regulators for (+) and (-).

Attachments

• SSHV1_NEG.png
    SSHV1_NEG.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 278
  • PSU Symmetry 2 x Positive.jpg
    PSU Symmetry 2 x Positive.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 273
What kind you have made, SSHV1, 2, or nothing yet? There are older posts on how to mirror SSHV1 for minus polarity or in how to use two positive polarity regulators for (+) and (-).

Thanks for the help Mr. Salas.
I have not done anything, but the configuration of the new power supply for my preamp is like the image attached.

Attachments

• dual_psu for my preamp.gif
    dual_psu for my preamp.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 255
You can either make one positive and one negative SSHV point to point and use your now configuration, or make two positive SSHV2 from ready PCBs and convert to the configuration of my second posted picture.

Thanks again Mr. Salas.
Will use the new PSU, and two positive SSHV2
One last question.
The transformer data I will use it: Hammond Model 260G, 175 VA power, SEC 275-0-275, 200 milliamps.
You would advise me to this transformer for my new PSU?.

Best Regards,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Advise is you will need a transformer with two discrete same secondaries, i.e. 4 wires not 3 to make the two positive regs configuration. Milliamps and Volts is whatever your application specifies plus 20mA for the regs. Double that to be royal if you can. Keep in mind about AC*1.33 real DC value to expect after rectification. Make sure it will allow 20V headroom to the regulators.