Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas. I also built 4X Daniel II and mod each of them. LOL

I will be evolving the SSHV a bit is a plan I have in mind. But its not that easy, takes many real tests, and has to really be better in key aspects. Maybe I will start early in fall, I have some ideas. If it will be seaworthy I will try to secure a top quality official & more affordable board SSHV2. In that case you will be possibly tempted in modding again. Oh, this mortal coil!:D

Salas,
I want to make sure are they the same? Both of them are called SSHV.

Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Kit for phono and Pre - Quanghao.com

SSHV for Phono and Tube Pre Kit - Quanghao.com

Thanks again!

They look the same schematic which is the newer one and adequate. One has an extra chip reg section for heaters power and accepts on board sinks as far as I can see. Just different configurations. As for kit parts types/quality, assembly directions, contact the vendor as I am not involved.

Did anyone try those PCBs?
Correct schematics in itself is no evidence for the final circuit performance.

I will be evolving the SSHV a bit is a plan I have in mind. But its not that easy, takes many real tests, and has to really be better in key aspects. Maybe I will start early in fall, I have some ideas. If it will be seaworthy I will try to secure a top quality official & more affordable board SSHV2. In that case you will be possibly tempted in modding again. Oh, this mortal coil!:D

That sounds great. Thank you, Salas.

They look the same schematic which is the newer one and adequate. One has an extra chip reg section for heaters power and accepts on board sinks as far as I can see. Just different configurations. As for kit parts types/quality, assembly directions, contact the vendor as I am not involved.

Salas,
No problem, I will place an order and give it a try. The same vendor also selling a board called Salas low shunt regulator V1.0.

Salas low shunt regulator V1.0 - Quanghao.com

Is that your design as well that people talk about in this forum? It might be suitable to my friend's Welborne Labs CATO line amp.

Thanks again!

Here a scope is king, we can't guess at such easily. Theoretically you can add 1u more // with your now output Zobel capacitor. So its gonna be 2u & 3R3 Zobel. That can give you 10deg phase relief in band. See if it helps. Not applicable to SSHV, this is for the original SHV. I.e. yours.

Thank you, will do as suggested and report back.

So I have to live with the SHV in my build which I don't mind... just packing
everything in the new case (actually under it ;)) will be a bit tighter.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
With SSHV the experiment would be just swapping the 3R3 Zobel resistor for a 6R8 one. In the SSHV case as much phase you gain in band, that much you lose in the very high range, so its more of a rub. Does not mean that you can not go SSHV, just the tweaks and behaviors will be a bit different.

I see! More works ahead. For a retired, I gess it is good news It prevents me to get older too fast. LOL

Salas,
As promissed, I report on the performance of the HV shunt reg. As I told you I installed it in my tube preamplifier. For information, this preamp is a Curcio Daniel-II. It is already an excellent machine that I had a chance to compare several times againts the best gears on the market. It always ranked among the top.
I initiated many upgrades since its construction with significant improvements on sound with any of them. I though I had come to the end until I upgraded the regulator section with a Guido Tent fixed 15V shunt regulator and your HV shunt regulator.
Both these upgrades made a huge difference in sound quality. Among my first impressions, I noticed reduce noise, better overall definition, exeptional image with pin point location of musicians and performers. I also found deeper sound stage, and clear reproduction of concert hall or studio reverberation when there is.
The upgrades where made in two steps, the Tent Lab first, so I could apppreciate the improvements gained with it. I did listen to it for several weeks until I could finaly find time and opportunity to install your HV shunt.
The HV shunt makes even more difference than the Tent Lab alone, but their action adds up to give the preamp outstanding performances.

Beside continuing the listening sessions, I will make comparisons with other high end preamplifiers and report on my findings.

This is well done Salas, an excellent design, great boards.
I can only thank both of you for the efforts and recommand to anyone desiring to build a performing HV shunt regulator, to try this one.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Board's aren't my work, its a third party initiative, he is in the vendor section now. Happy listening.

P.S. What is the Tent Labs for? What uses 15V in your build?

It replaces the 7815 as IC1 in the Master Regulator. It is floating on top of the high voltage supply between VCC and VEE. It is used to power the op amp in the line amplifier.
The included diagrams should explain it all.
Thank you

Dear Salas,
Can I have your V1.1 low voltage shunt regulator instead of tentlabs shunt regulator as Jean-Charles did in his Daniel for powering the op amp in the Daniel II line amplifier?

Many thanks!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
G'day Salas,

Just wondering what the current voltage capabilities of the V1.1 are please? Looking for about 1.3A @ up to 9V.

Many Thanks,

Dear Salas,
Can I have your V1.1 low voltage shunt regulator instead of tentlabs shunt regulator as Jean-Charles did in his Daniel for powering the op amp in the Daniel II line amplifier?

Many thanks!

First one I replied in length in the SSLV1.1 build thread.

Second one, the answer is of course. This is the high voltage thread, please aim the questions to the proper threads.