Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2013, 12:25 AM   #4291
king4joy is offline king4joy  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I aim to set each CCS at 15mA max first .......yes, if I use higher mA at CCS, I will re-set SSHV2 to higher mA....

220R for R3 and R4....I will try....I am targeting a range of 10-30mA....

Cheers....
Old 31st December 2013, 12:31 AM   #4292
diyAudio Member

With the 12VDC modeling, does it seem that the CCS is in working order so far??
Old 1st January 2014, 02:23 PM   #4293
poty is offline poty  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy View Post
I have been doing some modeling with the CCS, with 12VDC only (my line amp still at friend’s place), loaded with a 620R resistor.
As you have already been told - use the Ohm law to evaluate your setup. The CCS needs some voltage across it to work. In your setup the CCS is connected in serial with 620 Ohm resistor. Best estimation of the CCS compliance voltage is around 3V across it. So, for the 620Ohm resistor there is only 12-3=9V left. The 9V/620Ohm=14.5mA - it is the biggest current in this setup, tunung CCS to higher current will only make it in no-working state. Lowering the resistance or increasing the voltage can help you in achieving bigger current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy View Post
Would you give a hint what combination of R3 and R4 I should try, to get a range of 10mA to say about 25-30mA when loaded with a VT25A please??
As you can see above the current range depends not only on CCS parameters, but on external circuit also if the external circuit forces the voltage across the CCS out of compliance range. That is why you have been told to open a new thread for that discussion. In your case the current in your amplifier depends not only on CCS, but on biasing method, other parts values, B+, schematic, ... i.e., discussion becomes not about the CCS, but about your amplifier.
Old 1st January 2014, 02:35 PM   #4294
diyAudio Member

""...The CCS needs some voltage across it to work. In your setup the CCS is connected in serial with 620 Ohm resistor. Best estimation of the CCS compliance voltage is around 3V across it. So, for the 620Ohm resistor there is only 12-3=9V left. The 9V/620Ohm=14.5mA - it is the biggest current in this setup, tunung CCS to higher current will only make it in no-working state. Lowering the resistance or increasing the voltage can help you in achieving bigger current....""

All these are more than just Ohm law....and they do not agree with what I my modeling....

Poty...thankyou for your reply...but no thanks....please do not answer to my post anymore...

Have a happy new year instead please.
Old 1st January 2014, 02:56 PM   #4295
diyAudio Member

Happy New Year and the biggest luck in your undertaking.
Old 1st January 2014, 03:00 PM   #4296
diyAudio Member

Thankyou Poty.......I do need the luck too....
Old 10th January 2014, 02:47 PM   #4297
Brouilly is offline Brouilly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I bought a pair of boards last year after having great success with them previously.

I have just populated both boards and am trying to get them working but unfortunately neither board is working as it should;

Both boards have 200V LCLCRCRC supply feed.

Board 1 - only reading 20-30V at the input. CCS is working OK, but something is causing nearly all supply voltage to be dropped across the last PS resistor. I replaced the DN2540 but no luck.

Am I looking for a fault here? Or as I can adjust current properly is the fault further down stream?

Board 2 - CCS is only ever fully on and passes over 100mA which is causing the smoke to escape from various components. So this would be a fault in the CCS? I will replace the DN2540 here too and see.

I assume these issues may of come up here before, but have been trawling this thread for a few hours and have not found an answer yet. I will edit post if I do though!

Thanks in advance
Old 10th January 2014, 06:52 PM   #4298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSlee View Post
... something is causing nearly all supply voltage to be dropped across the last PS resistor.
How have you checked the CCS? If it is definitely OK, then maybe the last PS resistor has wrong value? Or the CCS current was set too high?
Quote:
... CCS is only ever fully on and passes over 100mA
Check with low voltage source first - it is less devastating sort to say. It seems DNs are go...
Old 10th January 2014, 06:59 PM   #4299
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
I bought a pair of boards last year after having great success with them previously.

I have just populated both boards and am trying to get them working but unfortunately neither board is working as it should;

Both boards have 200V LCLCRCRC supply feed.

Board 1 - only reading 20-30V at the input. CCS is working OK, but something is causing nearly all supply voltage to be dropped across the last PS resistor. I replaced the DN2540 but no luck.

Am I looking for a fault here? Or as I can adjust current properly is the fault further down stream?

Board 2 - CCS is only ever fully on and passes over 100mA which is causing the smoke to escape from various components. So this would be a fault in the CCS? I will replace the DN2540 here too and see.

I assume these issues may of come up here before, but have been trawling this thread for a few hours and have not found an answer yet. I will edit post if I do though!

Thanks in advance
Check the CCSs individually under a low voltage supply first. Its a safe procedure for fault finding. Check if you got the 0.33uF cap on wrong pads or touching extra pads with its barrel. Can short the output if metal jacketed.
Old 11th January 2014, 11:03 AM   #4300
PreSapian is offline PreSapian
diyAudio Member

hi i'm wanting to use sshv2 to power the lampizator 6n2p 1541 buffer. could i use one shunt reg and split it between two tubes? if so, how?

Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt RegsHide this!Advertise here!