Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommended brands for tube HT psu caps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2008, 02:26 PM   #1
studiochap is offline studiochap  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended brands for tube HT psu caps

Anyone got preferences for really good quality brands of PSU caps for tube gear , with voltage ratings in the 250v - 450v range?

It's easy to find recommendations for cap brands when you're talking low voltage audio caps, but not so easy with higher voltages.

Any help here very much appreciated!
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
N-Channel is offline N-Channel  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Studiochap-

I really like the Panasonic TS-series metal can large electrolytic caps. Working voltage ranges are from 16V to 450V. I recommend the TSHB series: 105 degrees C, high-ripple current, miniature size, and 3000hr life.

For a half-bridge, I would use no lower than 250WV, as two of these stacked across 220-240VAC (~325VDC), yield enough headroom to add active PFC'ing to the HB later on, if desired.

If you're doing a full-bridge, any of the 450VDC units will work fine, depending the desired power level. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We use Solen's entry level poly caps. Big & expensive compared to elcos, but make a huge difference. Available in 250, 400 and 630V

dave
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Big film capacitors should be used with great care. Inductance is proportional to terminal spacing at approx 1nH per mm. This rule holds for electrolytics too, which in the end are not that inductive with a typical 10mm terminal spacing on large cans. Electrolytics are more resistive too (ESR), at first this may be seen as a disadvantage but in some applications it's actually a headache preventer because ESR damps resonances. Modern electrolytics have nothing to do with the 40 year old ones found on tube gear.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve and Dave,

your replies are very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Gwyn
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Eva,

Thank you! Interesting - and your comment on ESR and resonances made me wonder therefore , about the effect of ESR on the sonics of caps in the audio chain.

I would very much appreciate your comments on the thread I also have " Upgrade 250v caps for tube mic".

As far as caps go I've replaced literally thousands of them ( recapping audio mixing consoles... ) over the years, without taking the time to learn enough about them.

Gwyn
Old 24th October 2008, 12:03 AM   #7
00940 is online now 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The rifa PEH169 have been discontinued but still can be found on the web (let's say ebay...). I've not made extensive comparaisons but in the HV supply of a tube headphones amp, they were coming quite close to a full MKP caps bank (cheap solen). Obviously, dismiss my comment if you make more than a pair of amps.

They were available up to 450vdc iirc. I've got a pair of 3300uF/350Vdc for which I'm still trying to find an use.

for example (and example only, this is not a recommandation for the seller): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EVOX-RIFA-PEH1...742.m153.l1262

Btw, I finally settled for this amp on a bank of old industrial mkp caps (11 x 20uf iirc, surplus on ebay) that were a bit better than the solen in that position. And they had terminal which were close to each other.
Old 20th August 2009, 02:37 PM   #8
cowboy99 is offline cowboy99  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rifa PEH169's are still in production!

The famous Rifa PEH169's are still being made, although since Kemet bought out Rifa and BHC the 169's are being made in the UK now. Their not readily available (especially not/never in the US) and usually have to be ordered via min qty. of 80-100 or so with a serious long lead time of 4-5 months min. Way out of most of our realm!
But, not to fret: AudioCapUK regularily stocks several PEH169 varities. Contact Matthew, he's great to do business with and pricing includes shipping! He is the only source I've found the higher end SS PSU caps.
http://www.audiocap.co.uk/peh169-low...itors-54-c.asp

But for the 'tubee' higher voltage ones you might check out Svalander Audio (I've never bought from them), but I'd suggest you see if Matthew might have or can get what you want first.
http://www.svalanderaudio.com/shoppen/lytareng.php

PS: I recently (June '09) bought (8) of the PEH169's 22,000uF 63V 105deg stud mounting 'TOP of the Line' 'BIG BOYS' from AudioCaps and was super pleased to see that the production date was barely 1 month old!!!!!

RifaBigBoys.jpg

Last edited by cowboy99; 20th August 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added link to make post more 'ON TOPIC' and grammar
Old 20th August 2009, 06:42 PM   #9
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiochap View Post
Anyone got preferences for really good quality brands of PSU caps for tube gear , with voltage ratings in the 250v - 450v range?

It's easy to find recommendations for cap brands when you're talking low voltage audio caps, but not so easy with higher voltages.

Any help here very much appreciated!
ICAR polipropilene here: click here they costs few euro

Mounted in my Aikido, simply great and not expensive

Last edited by piero7; 20th August 2009 at 06:46 PM.

Recommended brands for tube HT psu capsHide this!Advertise here!