Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SMPS Calculator
SMPS Calculator
SMPS Calculator Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Tolik is offline Tolik  Israel
diyAudio Member

SMPS Calculator
Lightbulb SMPS Calculator

Hello guys,

I`m tried to design some simple to use & understand tool, that will be helpful for pepole that new to SMPS design. Result of my work is Exel worksheet that able to calculate some data for pulse transformer, MOSFET`s, rectifers etc. I`m planing to add suport for output filters .
To use my calculator simple plase your data to white colored graphs, & results will be calculated automaticaly.
Please consider that it`s not final version, so chek for updates.
Don`t forget to chek the results by conventional way for the first time of using this tool.
Of course I`m very wating for your comments, critics, suggestions that will be helpful to improove the final version

Cheers ,

Anatoli Panchenko
Attached Files
File Type: zip pulse_transformer_calculation.zip (15.2 KB, 491 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Can you give some instructions for useing it...?

Opened it and it may as well be in Hebrew...
Old 8th January 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

SMPS Calculator
Every fields was written in english... If your PC can't recogenize font's - try to find & install following fonts:
impact, arial black. I'll try to give you more info tomorrow, when I'll get back to home. If you still have any questions - feel free to ask :-)
Old 9th January 2008, 09:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

SMPS Calculator
Ok here is some instructions...
Later I`ll place better version of it (may be this weekend)

All that you need - to search yours component`s datasheets for the needed information.
You will need datasheets for your core, MOSFET`s , driver IC, rectifer diodes. I used the same discriptions for all values and data like commonly used in components datasheets.

This project is based on calculation of SMPS from here:
http://www.national.com/appinfo/powe...001i-new-4.pdf not a lot discriptions, but look on the source - it writed on much better english then my.

Some suggestions how to begin:
1. F SWITCH Hz - select your switching frequency. Don`t go to values higher than 50000-75000 Hz for yor firs project. You will be need to create extreme good topology for your PCB, to fight against a lot of thermal & EMI losses , and other parasitic effects.
Take some expirience first.
2. D MAX % - maximum duty cycle for single positive OR negative period. Its equal to MOSFET on time / MOSFET off time during one half period (phase) Also look to picture below. Good idea to select
beetwen 30-43. Look the driver IC datasheet to determinate how to set up this parameter. For example : to set up D MAX for SG3525 , you will be need to place resistor beetween pins 5&7.
3. J A/MM2 - current destiny in wires. Avoid to use values higher than 5-6 A/mm^2 without good active cooling of your SMPS, or if your SMPS
will work at high ambinet temperature. Better to increase wire area for all windings.
4. K FiLLIG OF WINDOW* or winding factor. Showing witch part of window area ( bobbin area ) are taken by COPPER (clear area of conductors, without insulation (enamel coating)) Also see link above from page 8
Good to start with 0.3...0.4 , and avoid to go to more than 0.95 -
will be difficult to wind the last turns, also avoid to go to less than
0.15... 0.2 - coupling beetwen primery to secondary windings will be bad, + losses and EMI of magnetic leakage will be high.
DO NOT FORGET TO COPY VALUE OF EXACTLY CALCULATED Kfill EX* ( K4 field) to K FiLLIG OF WINDOW* after you placed all you data about trafo. , MOSFET`s & diodes. You will recive proper value for P MAX W (power that you transformer is able to deliver) after this step ONLY.

Good lark in your future projects. And don`t waste to ask your questions.
Attached Images
File Type: png d_max.png (18.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 9th January 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

SMPS Calculator
Screen shot with several notes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip expainations.zip (84.4 KB, 239 views)

SMPS CalculatorHide this!Advertise here!